You’ve made a decision to grow a beard, stopped shaving but the results are not even close to what you’ve been hoping for? Growing a beard is a tough job, which needs plenty of attention and patience. Men with full and healthy beards spend a lot of time taking care of their facial hair, hoping to make the best of it. The below 10 tips can help you do the same. Get ready for some hard work. Because when it comes to beards, only diligence and patience can help you get good results. Here are 10 solid tips to grow beard fast and healthy.
1. Take Your Vitamins
There are no magic ways to make your beard become healthy overnight. One of the smartest way to help it grow is to provide your body enough vitamins. The hair follicles are delicate and need plenty of nourishment to open up and allow the hairs to grow. If your body is lacking vitamins, you can forget about a great beard. Here are the vitamins you should consider:
- Vitamin A – Induces sebum production. You can find it in eggs, meat, leafy greens, cheese, carrots, and broccoli.
- Vitamin C – Supports your immune system and makes hair healthy. You can find it in citrus fruits, potatoes, tomatoes, and green bell peppers.
- Vitamin E – Improves the blood flow to hair follicles. You can find it in butter, nuts, and leafy greens.
- Vitamin B5 – Reduces stress and breaks down proteins and fats. You can find it in milk, lobsters, whole grain bread, and avocado.
- Folic Acid – Improves the speed of hair growth. You can find it in nuts, peas, and whole grain bread.
- Biotin (Vitamin H) – The lack of this vitamin leads to hair loss. So you need to make sure you have enough of it in your body. You can find it in fish, carrots, bananas, cauliflower, yeast, and egg yolks.
2. Drink Enough Water
Surpassingly enough, the battle for thick and healthy facial hair starts from the inside. Besides taking your vitamins, you need to keep your body properly hydrated. The lack of water can bring to toxin build up and immune system problems. Make it a habit of carrying a bottle of pure water with you when taking a walk, commuting to work or going out with your friends. It’s easy to calculate how much water you need to drink daily. Divide your weight in pounds by 2 and you get the number of ounces you should consume on a daily basis.
3. Start Working Out
Since testosterone is responsible for thick and healthy beards, you need to increase its production by your body. There are various pills available on the market today that claim to boost testosterone. However, their effectiveness hasn’t been proven. Meanwhile, the effect of exercises is evidence-based. When you are working out, your body produces more testosterone, the blood circulation improves, and the muscle mass increases. The hair follicles benefit from a better blood flow and produce thicker hair, which grows faster.
4. Reduce Stress
When you are growing a beard, it’s important to avoid stressful situations which directly affect the speed of hair growth. Try to stay calm.
- Practice yoga at home and try some simple meditation techniques. They can save you in a stressful situation.
- Try to spend more time doing things you really like, such as listening to music, talking to your friends, watching your favorite music and etc. Men who work 24/7 don’t have beautiful beards.
Allow yourself to spend at least 30 minutes a day alone in a quiet room.
5. Be Smart About Maintenance
While taking care of your physical and mental condition, don’t forget about topical remedies. Make sure to do the following:
- Hydrate your skin. When you just start growing a beard, the skin might flake and itch. Buy a special hydrating lotion to improve the condition of your skin and awaken the hair follicles.
- Use dandruff shampoo. Regular shampoo against dandruff can do wonders for your beard. Don’t forget to use a conditioner after washing your facial hair. Otherwise, it might be bristling.
- Buy beard oil. If you live in a cold climate, frequent the pool or love skiing, your beard needs additional protection. Use jojoba or grape seed oil to protect the skin under the beard from dryness.
6. Use Masks
If you think that hair masks are for women only, you are wrong. If you want your beard to go thick and strong, you can use a variety of natural hair masks. Most of them you can make in the comfort of your own home.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your shampoo and wash the beard with it.
- Mix tea tree oil, eucalyptus essential oil, and almond oil in equal proportions. Mix well and rub it into the beard.
- Mix finely grated oatmeal flakes, milk, and honey in equal proportions. Rub the mixture in the beard and leave it there for 20 minutes. Remove with tepid water.
7. Get Enough Sleep
Healthy sleep is an imperative part of your beard growing process. The cells in our bodies are renewed during sleep. Meanwhile, regular sleep improves our mental state and reduces stress. The lack of sleep can weaken the immune system. When growing a beard, try to sleep for at least 8 hours a day. If 8 seems like an impossible goal, try to opt for at least 7. Anyone who gets less than 6 hours of sleep can’t grow a healthy beard.
8. Talk to Your Doctor
There is a variety of medications that can stimulate the hair growth, including the testosterone boosting remedies we talked about earlier. Make an appointment with your physicians to ask about the meds that can help you grow a full beard. Remember, taking medication without your doctor’s advice can lead to unfortunate circumstances, including hair loss.
Massaging the skin under your beard can stimulate the hair growth. Use circular motions to massage the skin for at least a couple of minutes in the morning or in the evening. You can combine the massage with beard oil application in order to get the best effect. The same is true for the hair on your head.
10. Avoid Hair Sprays
When the beard just starts growing, it tends to be all over the place. You have to struggle with hair patches and itchy stubble. Many men give up and use hair spray to smooth the beard and make it look neat. This is usually a mistake since the abundance of hair gel and spray can lead to clogged pores, increase sebum production, and even hair loss.
You can allow yourself to use hair cosmetics every once in a while for special occasions. Other than that, try to keep your beard as clean and natural as possible.
If you follow these simple tips, you can grow the beard of your dreams in no time. Don’t forget that the above pointers aren’t magical. You need to be patient while waiting for the beard to grow. It takes at least a few weeks for the results to show.