I know firsthand what it’s like to maintain a curly mane. Sometimes after washing, conditioning, and the works, my curls fall exactly into place, but there are days when it’s a frizzy nightmare and I have no time to fix it.
Let’s face it, curly hair can be downright frustrating to deal with. Approximately 65% of the U.S. population has coily, curly or wavy hair. If you have curls, you can probably agree that it’s both a blessing and a curse.
Some days your curls just work, making it effortless, but most days you spend an insane amount of time trying to tame the frizz. Luckily, with the help of moisture-rich conditioners, you’ll have more uncomplicated hair days ahead.
Curly, coily, and wavy hair are notoriously known for being drier than other hair textures. This means having a moisturizing and hydrating conditioner is a lifesaver.
Looking for moisture-rich ingredients in hair conditioners for your curly hair is the best bet to control frizz and smooth those flyaways. Ingredients such as aloe vera juice, shea butter, and jojoba oil help lock in moisture and give curls a healthy, nourished shine.
What to Consider Before Buying A Hair Conditioner
You want to keep in mind that everyone has different hair types and textures. Conditioners that are uniquely designed for curly hair may not work to the full potential on wavy or straight hair. So, you should know your hair type and make your purchase of conditioner accordingly.
Another thing you want to pay attention to is the ingredients listed on the bottle. The market is saturated with hair products containing all types of chemicals.
Products that contain sulfates, parabens, and other harmful chemicals will irritate your scalp, dry out your hair, and even result in hair loss. It’s best to avoid any hair products that list harmful chemicals in their ingredients.
If you have curly hair, your most likely hair dries out faster than other types. Look for ingredients like proteins, coconut milk, glycerin, and any hydrating oils that will control frizz.
With a shift toward more sustainable living, more people are taking the time to find out if the brands they buy are ethical and eco-friendly. Consider whether the brand of conditioner you decide to purchase is cruelty-free, organic, and vegan.
These sustainable hair products are on the rise and work wonders for your hair, which will be singing your praises as it looks healthier and shinier with every use.
It’s worth investing in a high-quality hair conditioner if you have trouble taming the frizz, but we understand that finding one that’s rich in moisture while managing frizz and smelling divine can be a tedious task. This is why we’ve done the research and compiled a list of the 10 best conditioners for curly hair.
Keep reading to discover the best conditioner for curly hair for you, as well as the pros and cons of each.
Best Conditioners for Curly Hair
1. SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner
- SheaMoisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine silicone free Conditioner is a lightweight hair care product that helps to...
- This moisturizing shine conditioner ensures you have no more knots, snarls or tangles – just soft, shining, easy to style...
- Moisturizing conditioner instantly softens and detangles dry, frizzy hair while infusing your curls and coils with intense...
This conditioner is designed for thick hair that softens and detangles dry, frizzy locks all while locking in intense moisture.
SheMoisture’s Coconut and Hibiscus Conditioner will also leave your hair smooth and soft while taming the flyaways. Plus, this product is known for not having any harsh chemicals and the brand is cruelty-free.
Additionally, the conditioner lists coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba oil in its ingredients, which are all known for their moisture-rich qualities.
- No silicone, sulfates, or parabens
- Fair trade shea butter
- Sustainable and cruelty-free
- Not for all hair textures
2. Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock Conditioner
- For curly hair
- It bursts with rich foam
- Gives your hair softness and shine
Created to defrizz, define, and hold your curls in place, Tigi’s Catwalk Curls Conditioner will keep your hair hydrated and nourished while maintaining its softness. This conditioner works on kinky, wavy, and curly hair types.
Made with hydrating ingredients such as aloe vera, coconut milk, and papaya extract, this product has it all to keep your locks moisturized.
- Controls frizz
- Adds shine
- Fragrance may be strong for some
3. OGX Quenching Coconut Curls Conditioner
- Detangles, defines and enhances curls.
- Leaves hair looking smooth and bouncy.
- With coconut oil, sweet honey and citrus oil.
OGX has many different conditioners to choose from, but this one was specifically formulated to improve your curly hair’s natural softness and bounce.
OGX Quenching Coconut Curls conditioner leaves hair feeling hydrated, nourished, and smelling divine. It’s important to note, though, that this product is sulfate-free but not silicone-free.
The ingredients in this OGX conditioner are coconut oil, honey, and citrus oil – all known for their moisture-rich tendencies and ability to tame frizz.
- Controls frizz
- Softens hair instantly
- No animal testing
- Does not contain parabens or sulfates
- Contains silicones
4. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Frizz-Defy Conditioner
- Bundle of 2 items: 1 Shampoo + 1 Conditioner, 8.5 ounce each
- EverPure Frizz-Defy Shampoo and Conditioner with marula oil
- Cleanses and deeply conditions frizz-prone hair for humidity and frizz control, manageability and smooth luminosity
Designed to deeply condition curls, frizzy hair, this conditioner will fight humidity and control your frizz, leaving your hair smooth and easy to maintain. L’Oreal Paris EverPure’s Frizz-Defy conditioner will add so much moisture to your locks that you can say goodbye to frizz.
The L’Oreal Paris EverPure line is known for its natural botanicals. It does not contain any harsh sulfates or salts that can damage hair.
- Known for taming frizz, even in very humid conditions
- Very lightweight
- Sulfate- and silicone-free
- Controls frizz for only about 48 hours
5. Matrix Biolage Smoothproof Conditioner
- Anti-Frizz Conditioner: Smooths away frizz and extra volume in hair due to humidity by locking out extra moisture, while...
- Benefits: Anti-frizz properties help to provide smoothness and control hair in up to 97% humidity while deeply conditioning...
- Additional Benefits: Inspired by the camilla flower, this formula works to align the hair's cuticle, locking out extra...
Specifically created for unmanageable, curly frizzy hair. This conditioner will help control frizz even in humid weather while giving static control. It keeps your hair manageable and smooth, all while smelling delightful.
The ingredients in this product include palm oil and glycerin for moisture, and it’s powered with Camellia Seed oil for the rich scent.
- Anti-frizz shield
- Smells amazing
- Does not contain any parabens
- Does not improve hair texture or shape much
6. Nexxus Keraphix Damage Healing Conditioner
- DAMAGE REPAIR SYSTEM: Visibly heal signs of severe hair damage, when used as a system after the first use. This conditioner...
- SMOOTHING KERATIN: This conditioner for damaged hair reaches into the hair fiber to help repair from within and deliver a...
- PROTEINFUSION BLEND: Nexxus conditioner is formulated with an exclusive ProteinFusion blend with Keratin Protein and Black...
Specially designed to repair the damage, Nexxus’s Damage Healing conditioner will permeate deep into your roots to boost your hair’s strength. It removes the frizz from your locks, leaving them looking silky and healthier.
The ingredients in this damage-healing conditioner boast smoothing keratin and powerful protein infusion.
- Repairing agents for damaged hair
- De-frizzes hair
- Silky finish
- May dry out hair
7. Redken Frizz Dismiss Conditioner
- Redken Frizz Dismiss Conditioner is a professional anti-frizz conditioner with a gentle, sodium chloride-free formula to tame...
- This anti-frizz conditioner is formulated with Redken's Smoothing Complex, which contains Babassu oil and smoothing complex...
- Sulfate-free and sodium chloride-free conditioner for all hair types. Moisturizes and detangles deeply to provide an enhanced...
This is a popular choice for those with frizzy locks. It is gentle but manages to fight frizz, increase smoothness, and boost shine, leaving your hair feeling soft and bouncy. It also manages flyaways and static, which leaves you with more time to get stuff done and less time worrying about your curls.
It is produced with Babassu oil, which provides deep hydration and will tame your hair no matter how frizzy it gets. This conditioner also contains a special smoothing complex, which has citric acid to moisturize and detangle.
- Sodium chloride-free
- Fragrance may be too strong for some
8. Aveda Be Curly Conditioner
No products found.
Proclaiming to reduce frizz and define curls up to 57%, this conditioner is a fresh-scented, moisture-locking wonder. Not only does it enhance the natural texture of your hair, but it also boosts shine and leaves it smelling heavenly. This conditioner was specifically made for curly and wavy hair, restoring moisture to tame frizzy locks.
The ingredients in this product include wheat protein, organic aloe, castor oil, and sunflower seed oil. As a result, it leaves behind a refreshing aroma of citrus – lemon, orange, and other flower essences.
- Enhances natural hair texture
- Statistically proven to decrease frizz
- Strong but pleasant scent
- Doesn’t lather well
9. Mamaearth Argan Conditioner
This argan conditioner is a top contender for combating frizz and nourishing curly hair. It maintains the natural pH balance of your scalp and leaves your hair feeling hydrated and smooth.
- Effective in reducing frizz
- Moisturizes the driest of hairs
- Suitable for all hair types
10. Devacurl One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditioner
One of the most highly praised conditioners for curly hair, this product is raved about for its ability to enrich locks with moisture and soft, frizz-free, defined curls.
It works perfectly for all curl types and leaves hair healthier with each use. Having higher ratings compared to its competitors, Devacurl One Condition is in a league of its own.
This creamy conditioner is created with olive oil, botanicals, chufa milk, and quinoa protein, drenching your hair in deep hydration and leaving soft, manageable hair.
- Works on all curly hair types
- Vegan- and cruelty-free
- Paraben-, sulfate-, and silicone-free
- Refreshing lemongrass scent
- Thick and creamy texture
- Best results if paired with DevaCurl style products
As you can tell, there are many products on the market for curly hair, but some are not as good or ethical as others. Before choosing your next product, make sure it will work with your needs and check the ingredients for hydrating agents.
With this list, you are on your way to having healthier, sleeker, more moisturized hair.