When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It’s no secret that women spend a lot of time on their hair: braiding, dying, straightening, and curling. Some of us are obsessed with the most trendy hairstyles and some of us wear our favorite go-to look each day. Whatever your preference, you should always make sure you’re using the best hair tools. The right one can make all the difference for your finished look.
For example, when looking for the right hair curling tool, although you may want to be thrifty and buy the first affordable product you see, there are a few other things you’ll want to consider when shopping for one: how healthy it is for your hair, how long it will last, whether it works for your specific hair type, etc.
Every hair tool comes with pros and cons of course, which is why it’s important to do your research. In the case of hair curler machines, we’ve done it for you!
Best Hair Curler Machines
When it comes to choosing the best hair curler for your locks, first make sure you read through our guide of the 10 best hair curling tools to use in 2021 to guarantee perfectly shaped curls.
- Hair Goes In, Curl Comes Out: A revolutionary way to create beautiful curls; Auto Curl tangle free technology draws hair...
- Professional Brushless Motor and High Performance Heater: long life motor with safety senor for tangle free curls and...
- Styling Control: With 2 Heat levels and 3 timer settings, create your desired look from medium to tight curls; Curl Secret...
Under $50 and a 30 second heat up time are only two of the pros to the 1″ Inifitipro By Conair Curl Secret. Other pros include that it has a timed “chamber,” meaning you won’t have to guess how long you need to hold your hair in the wand before releasing it, and it works for all hair textures.
The tool also only accepts a certain amount of hair into the chamber so that curls come out perfectly shaped. While some hair tools do not include tourmaline in the plates, this one does, a great design feature that reduces frizz. To keep your hair curler in prime condition, use the chamber cleaning tool it comes with.
- Suitable for frizzy/curly hair
- Auto-curl feature draws hair into chamber
- 8,10,12 second timer settings
- Can only take small sections of hair at a time; may take longer to style
- Hair may tangle inside the chamber
- 1inch 1Ã‚½ inch Wide Conical Barrel Creates Tousled Waves
- Professional Pearl Ceramic for Less Damage and Faster Salon Results.Wipe the handle and barrel with a damp cloth
- Ceramic Coating for Even, Consistent Heat
If traditional black coloring isn’t your style, go for the pretty pink Remington Pro Pearl Curling Wand. At $20, it’s budget-friendly for those of us who don’t want to break the bank. If you tend to burn your hand when styling your hair with hot tools or are just heat-sensitive, the accompanying heat protective glove will help with that.
Like most hot tools, the Remington Pro Pearl Curling Wand also features an auto-off so you never have to worry about leaving the house with it on.
- 1 -1/2 inch barrel for bigger section of hair
- Available in either black or pink
- Comes with heat protective glove for its 10 heat settings
- Curl shape does not last
- Product is not long-lasting
- Kiss Ceramic Instawave automatic hair curler is the perfect styling tool for those who just can’t style with conventional...
- Patented Curl Dial has ridges/prongs that act as combs which smooth and detangle hair as it curls
- The ceramic ionic technology fosters healthy, shiny salon style curls or waves with less frizz and damage with just a touch...
The Instawave Curling Iron is another affordable option at $40. The black or white colors are classy choices for a hair curler and its ability to curl up to two inches of hair at a time mean you can complete your styling quickly.
The Instawave’s auto curl feature also helps with minimizing the need for you to wind hair around the wand. Once the barrel has completed its curl process, it will signal you with a beep to release the hair.
- 2 year warranty
- Auto curl feature
- Doesn’t work as well for fine hair
- 5 IN 1 CURLING IRON SET - This curling iron kit includes a 0.3 - 0.75 inch tapered clipless barrel, a 0.7 - 1 inch tapered...
- TOURMALINE CERAMIC TECHNOLOGY - This set provides the best styling results by producing negative ions to seal moisture,...
- DIGITAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL - Each high-powered, styling tool with 9 precise temperature settings features an easy to read,...
The 5 in 1 Xtava Curling wand is a bargain at $43. It comes with five interchangeable barrels that start at 0.3 inches and go up to 1.25. This allows for a variety of curl sizes, great for the woman who loves styling her hair and trying out different looks.
The Xtava may heat up fast but if you’re not used to this style of wand, you may forget there is no cooling tip and burn your hand.
- 5 barrel sizes
- Comes with heat resistant glove and zip travel case
- 2 year warranty and money-back guarantee
- No cooling tip
- Can be difficult to change barrels
- 1” Inch Ceramic Rotating Barrel ideal for shoulder-length hair between 6-16” length.
- Includes Pre-set Temperatures: Low 370°F for Fine Hair, Medium 390°F for Medium Hair, High 410°F for Coarse Hair
- Includes Adjustable Heat-Up Times: 15 seconds for Fine Hair, 17 seconds for Medium Hair, 19 seconds for Coarse Hair
The CHI curling wand is a common appliance for professional hairstylists. CHI has a reputation for making quality products, so it’s no surprise their Rotating Curler is more pricey at $70. Although, its features make it worth it.
This wand includes directional buttons that allow you to choose which way you want to curl your hair, something many other curling wands do not have. The inner chamber also does the curling for you – just wait for the beep to release your beautiful curls.
- Includes preset temperatures for each type
- Directional buttons
- 1-hour auto shut off
- Only one barrel size
- No stand to prevent it from rolling off or burning counter
- Cordless Auto Curler: Create beautiful curls & waves with Conair Unbound Auto Curler, the creators of Curl Secret. This high...
- Professional Curl: Reach 400°F highest heat for professional results (note: this curler requires 60-second heat up time)....
- Sleek Curler: This curler has a LCD digital display showing heat, timer, battery level, & curl direction. 3 Heat/4 Timer...
The portable Conair Curler is a compact little tool at $80. If you find yourself traveling a lot for work, its cordless design is for you. The multi-directional barrel ensures you can create different curl types.
While it does work for all hair types, if you’re impatient and have thick hair, the Conair Curler may not be for you as it only curls a 1/2 inch section at a time.
- Multi-directional barrel
- Usable without a cord for 60 minutes
- 3 heat settings, reaches 400 degrees
- LCD screen displays all settings
- Chargeable by USB cord
- You have to hold down the Start button while curling
- 【3 in 1 Multifunctional】 You can use it as a curling iron, straightening brush or normal comb. NOTE: NO HOT AIR BRUSH!!!
- 【You’ll Never Get Burned!】 Anti-scald nylon bristles and big cool tip effectively prevent you from burning. No tangling...
- 【Tourmaline Ceramic Barrel for Healthier Hair】 The 3X tourmaline ceramic coating barrel release millions of negative ions...
There are three things that make the SwanMyst Curling Iron a tempting buy: it’s affordable ($30), it comes in baby blue, and there’s a built-in comb. The 1-inch curler works not just for creating beautiful curls, but also for straightening or as a regular comb substitute. It’s an old-fashioned curling iron, meaning that the barrel doesn’t automatically rotate.
SwanMyst’s simple directions are that you comb your hair first, wrap a 1/2-1 1/2 inch section of hair around the barrel, hold for 5-10 seconds and release. The company also mentions its anti-scald bristles several times; you won’t have to worry so much about burning your hands when operating.
- Works well for all hair types
- Doubles as a curler and a straightening tool
- Comes with travel bag
- Non-rotating barrel
- Bristle comb may tangle hair
- 👍CREATE BEAUTIFUL NATURAL CURLS - 1 inch triple barrel waver iron, the 3 barrel curling wand is a very nice hair tool to...
- 👍WORKS ON ALL HAIR TYPES: The 1 inch crimper hair iron has the more advanced ceramic coating heating technology and...
- 👍WORKS ON ALL HAIR TYPES: The wave hair curler has the more advanced ceramic coating heating technology and negative ion...
The BLUETOP Curling Wand is an affordable ($31) option for beach wave-type curls. Anti-scald tips help when releasing your hair from the barrel. The only caveat to purchasing the BLUETOP is that it isn’t exactly simple to put your hair through the three piece barrel. However, if you like the sort of curls the BLUETOP promises, that may not be an issue for you.
- For straight/thick/thin hair
- 3 1-inch barrels heat in 60 seconds up to 446 degrees
- Difficult to operate
- May not last as long as other hot tools
- The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium MiraCurl Professional Curl Machine offers a whole new way to curl hair. A hair strand is drawn...
- Featuring 3 direction curl control so you can create tight uniform curls or looser, free-flowing waves.
- Use the MiraCurl Professional Curl Machine to create curls & waves. It's great for all types of hair.
The Babyliss Pro is another popular tool stylists use. It’s pricier at $100, but this company’s golden reputation is hard to beat. Babyliss’ Curl Machine boasts a 3-directional curl control for use in creating loose waves or tight curls.
The secret is in the steam which releases when a section of hair is drawn into the curl chamber. It softly heats the hair into a beautiful shape with minimal effort from you.
- 3-directional curl control for loose or tight shapes
- 3 heat settings, heats up to 450 degrees
- 4 timer settings to create different curls
- May be difficult to operate with extra long hair
- More expensive
- Tourmaline, ceramic technology on barrel for reduced frizz and massive shine
- Round barrel for tousled waves & texture
- High heat of Up to 400 degree Fahrenheit (because we know you like it hot) & dual voltage
From Bed Head comes the bubble-shaped 1″ Rock n’ Roller Curling Wand. This is the cheapest at $16 and will give you both soft tousled waves or tight spirals. Reviewers do note the chances of burning your hand increase because there’s no anti-scald areas on the wand.
- Work with all hair types, especially 4A and 4C hair
- Heat protective glove
- Nonspecific heat settings (low, medium, high)
- No anti-scald protection or clamp
- No automatic shut-off
As you can see, the 10 curling wands listed above come with their pros and cons. To make a decision, it’s best to consider how much you want to spend and the quality of curls you want. But remember, a higher price tag doesn’t always mean a better product. Read the reviews of each curling wand product from women who have actually used it to make an informed decision.
It’s also worth it to mention that in order to make your curls last all day, using a hairspray or another styling product will greatly help. And always use a heat protectant when applying any hot tool to your hair!