When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are you struggling with hair loss? Dealing with hair fall or loss can be a big struggle, whether you’re male or female. The journey is filled with shame, stress, and challenges that will seem difficult to overcome.
To be successful in your fight against hair loss, the first thing that you need to do is identify the root cause of your hair problem. One of the most common causes of hair loss is DHT, a hormone that works similarly to testosterone. The overproduction of this hormone can cause hair loss or thinness.
The best way to address this is to block the enzyme that produces this hormone—the 5-alpha reductase. The good news is there are plenty of natural DHT blockers in the market. To help you out, we’ve compiled some of the best natural DHT blockers here.
What is DHT Blocker?
Before we talk about what DHT blockers are, let’s talk about what DHT is first. DHT is a type of androgen, the male hormone. It’s one of the culprits of hair loss because it has the ability to bind to the receptors in the hair follicles, causing them to miniaturize and preventing hair growth.
DHT is formed from testosterone with the help of the enzyme called alpha-5-reductase. The function of DHT is to prevent the production of DHT in the body and promote hair growth.
Best Natural DHT Blockers
Here are the 10 best natural DHT blockers we’ve reviewed in details with pros and cons.
1. Pure Biology Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo – Best Everyday DHT Shampoo
- Best Hair Growth Blend – Packed with natural extracts, amino acids, Biotin, Keratin and Rosemary Oil, Vitamins B and E, Saw...
- Breakthrough Complexes – Amino Kera NPNF Keratin complex penetrates deep to strengthen and revitalize damaged hair while...
- Dht Blocker – Saw Palmetto and Green Tea are essential to preventing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to promote regrowth of...
The thing that we liked the most about the Pure Biology Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo is its mild formulation which includes natural extracts, amino acids, and vitamins. This is the very reason why you can use it as an everyday shampoo.
The shampoo has 3HC Stimulation Complex which is made up of ingredients that have been clinically proven to boost the proliferation of the stem cells, which in turn, prolongs the hair follicle’s lifespan and prevents hair loss.
- It contains the patented Amino Kera NPNF keratin Complex that moisturizes and conditions the hair from deep within.
- The shampoo’s base is made with coconut oil, vitamin E, green tea extract, rosemary oil, biotin, keratin, and vitamin B panthenol which cleanses, protects, and volumizes the hair.
- This can be used by both men and women.
- Saw Palmetto and green tea extract facilitate growth to prevent hair loss.
- This contains sulfates which can be irritating to the scalp.
- The shampoo gives off a strong smell.
2. DrFormulas HairOmega 3-in-1 Hair Growth Vitamins – Best DHT Blocker for Vegetarians
- Hairomega 3-in-1 Hair, Skin, and Nails Formula with DHT Blocker contains Biotin 5000mcg to help support hair growth,...
- 100% Vegetarian suitable, easy to swallow tablets with no artificial dyes.
- 5000mcg extra strength biotin means you don't have to buy an additional biotin supplement for hair growth.
If you’re a vegetarian who’s suffering from severe hair loss, it can be challenging to find a hair loss supplement that will go well with your lifestyle. Luckily, we have the DrFormulas HairOmega 3-in-1 Hair Growth Vitamins.
These capsules prevent hair loss in three different ways. For one, its proprietary blend brings balance to your hormone levels by blocking DHT. It also has essential nutrients needed to promote circulation and nourish the hair cells.
- It has vitamin C for better skin and hair health.
- This is manufactured in a USA-based FDA-inspected facility that adheres to the standards of NSF and GMP.
- This is a 100% vegetarian formulation.
- It has no artificial dyes.
- The capsules contain vitamins and minerals which can help in addressing hair loss related to vitamin and mineral deficiency.
- It’s expensive.
- This may cause indigestion, especially when taken on an empty stomach.
- It’s processed in a facility that also manufactures products with crustacean, fishes, egg, soy, wheat, and peanuts.
3. Shapiro MD Hair Growth Experts DHT Blockers Shampoo and Conditioner – Best for All Hair Types
- FIGHTS DHT - Hair loss is typically caused by excess (DHT) in the body. Dermatologists Dr. Steven Shapiro MD & Dr. Michael...
- VISIBLY THICKER, FULLER HAIR - Our triple action shampoo and conditioner has helped tens of thousands of men and women change...
- MEN & WOMEN - Designed to help men and women achieve thicker and fuller looking hair. Most experts agree that DHT is the main...
The Shapiro MD Shampoo and Conditioner is one of the most popular DHT blockers in the market due to its proprietary triple action formula. It claims to have 3 powerful and natural DHT blockers.
The first one is caffeine which promotes good blood flow and circulation. It also has green tea which prolongs the anagen phase to boots your hair growth. Lastly, it has Saw Palmetto Berry Extract, which hinders the enzyme that produces DHT.
- It works in three different ways to address hair loss.
- The duo comes with a 60-day moneyback guarantee.
- It will help you achieve a fuller and thicker hair.
- The shampoo and conditioner’s formulations are all-natural.
- This has been developed by hair experts.
- The product is not FDA-approved.
- This is not suitable for breastfeeding or pregnant women.
4. Botanical Green Care Saw Palmetto & Cayenne Scalp Treatment – Best for Preventing Premature Hair Loss
- Effectively PREVENTS PREMATURE HAIR LOSS and STIMULATES NEW HAIR GROWTH by promoting additional blood circulation to the...
- 100% NATURAL Anti-Hair Loss Formula with our Powerful proprietary and CLINICALLY PROVEN Advanced DHT Blockers blend, the...
- REDUCES HAIR LOSS AND STIMULATES HAIR GROWTH. Regenerates & Revitalizes Follicles. Exclusive Essential Oils Blend, Rosemary,...
While most of the products in this list are formulated to address hair loss that already occurred, this one is a bit different as it also promises to prevent premature hair loss.
This hair oil is a pre-shampoo treatment which contains two powerful ingredients. The first one is Cayenne Pepper Extract (Capsaicin) which stimulates the metabolic processes in the hair follicles, promoting blood flow and hair growth.
The second one is Saw Palmetto which decreases the production of DHT by inhibiting the enzyme that produces it.
- It contains botanical oils which work together to promote hair restoration.
- The treatment is also infused with vitamins that nourish the scalp for healthy hair.
- It doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- All ingredients are natural and organic.
- With the number of ingredients that it has, the risk of allergies is increased.
- It’s a bit difficult to rinse off.
5. PURA D’OR Hair Thinning Therapy Biotin Shampoo – Best for Damaged Hair
- ACHIEVE A HEALTHY, NOURISHED HAIR: It all starts with a healthy scalp. This invigorating blend of Biotin, natural extracts...
- REDUCES HAIR THINNING: Stimulating blend of Niacin, Biotin, Argan Oil, antioxidants and other natural ingredients detoxify...
- GENTLE YET EFFECTIVE: Developed in a gentle formulation to effectively target leading sources of most common thinning...
The PURA D’OR Biotin Shampoo is formulated to help you achieve healthy hair by nourishing the scalp. It contains the energizing blend of Argan oil, Biotin, and Niacin designed to detoxify the scalp for healthy hair growth.
- It comes with an industry-leading 365-day moneyback guarantee.
- The formulation doesn’t contain parabens, SLS, and gluten.
- It uses natural ingredients.
- The company claims that it can deliver results in just 8 weeks.
- It doesn’t have any ingredients that may block DHT.
- The shampoo doesn’t smell good.
6. Hairgenics Propidren Hair Growth Serum – Best Hair Serum
- Scientific research on hair loss has shown that the number one factor in hair loss and thinning hair is the production of...
- Contains Saw palmetto that helps prevent DHT production - Saw Palmetto is essential to blocking 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme...
- Also includes Biotin to help strengthen weak and brittle hair - Biotin is a B Vitamin that produces keratin, increases hair...
The Hairgenics Propidren also has a DHT Blocker and Hair Growth Supplement. Still, since not a lot of people are keen on taking supplements, they decided to introduce the formulation in a serum form.
The company claims that their serum contains a revolutionary formula made of Saw Palmetto which blocks the enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT and reduces its levels in the body.
- The formulation also includes Biotin, which is the vitamin B precursor of keratin known for strengthening hair strands.
- It also contains herbal extracts and powders that promote hair regrowth and regeneration.
- The serum comes with a 100% moneyback guarantee.
- It already comes with a dropper, so it’s easy to use and apply.
- It contains alcohol which may cause dryness.
- The serum is expensive.
7. Honeydew Natural Hair Loss Shampoo with Biotin – Best for Sensitive Scalp and Colored Thinning Hair
- Biotin Hair Shampoo - We blended natural coconut oil jojoba oil tea tree oil zinc and biotin with keratin to nourish your dry...
- Volumizing Shampoo For Thin Hair - Our pyrithione zinc shampoo offers complete hair hydration to restore moisture for...
- Sulfate Free Shampoo - We pack many natural ingredients in our paraben free shampoo for color treated hair specially...
If you have colored hair, you should be careful in choosing the shampoos that you use. This is most especially true if you have thinning hair too. This thickening shampoo is one of the best options that you have.
Infused with an Advanced Biotin Complex and a scientific complex containing the blend of argan oil and olive oil, it moisturizes and nourish the scalp and boost blood flow and circulation to it. In this way, it can facilitate healthy hair growth.
- The formulation is hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, and eco-friendly.
- It contains natural ingredients—even its fragrance!
- The shampoo lathers well.
- It’s sulfate-free, so it’s recommended for people with a sensitive scalp.
- It comes with an anti-itch formula.
- This may cause hair dryness.
- It doesn’t smell good.
8. WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner – Best for Wavy and Curly Hair
- Dry Hair Repair - Naturally nourish dry, brittle strands with hydrating botanicals like Coconut Milk, Shea Butter, and Sweet...
- Volumize - Revive lifeless locks with the secret to voluminous strands - moisture! Purify excess oils and replenish moisture...
- Curl Friendly - Curly hair will love this protein and moisture-rich duo. Enrich waves, curls, and coils with essential...
With this duo’s ability to leave hair shiny and silky, we recommend the WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner for people with thinning curly and wavy hair.
We consider this to be one of the best natural DHT blockers because it contains Saw Palmetto extract, which prevents testosterone from being converted into DHT. Additionally, these boost blood circulation that will prevent hair fall and promote the growth of healthy hair.
- The shampoo is lightweight and color-safe.
- It contains keratin which strengthens hair strand.
- The shampoo also has castor oil for repairing hair damage.
- It has coconut extract which keeps hair shiny and moisturized.
- The product is free of silicone, sulfate, and paraben.
- It leaves hair a bit greasy.
- These hair products are a bit expensive.
9. Shen Min DHT Blocker Tablets – Best Herbal Tablet
- Research indicates that one of the the primary causes of hair thinning in men and women is DHT - the bad form of the hormone...
- Shen Min DHT Blocker combats hair loss and thinning hair with a nutritional approach - a drug-free supplement that nourishes...
- The benefit is thicker, fuller, healthier hair for men and women
There are plenty of other oral DHT blockers in the market. However, this stands out from the rest as it’s one of the few that contains pure herbal extract blends—no drugs and other chemicals.
These tablets work in three ways. First, it has Saw Palmetto, which promotes DHT balance. Second, it has Zinc, isoflavones, and Phytosterols, which maintain hormonal balance. Lastly, it has Selenium which provides antioxidant protection.
- This is 100% drug-free.
- The tablets are affordable.
- It also comes in an easy-to-swallow form.
- This may cause drug interaction.
- For people who drink alcohol and have liver problems, consult with your doctor first.
10. NutraM Melatonin Hair Regrowth Serum – Best Cruelty-Free Hair Serum
- REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA USING CLINICAL TESTED TOPICAL MELATONIN TO REGROW LOST HAIR! Research has shown that there are numerous...
- HAIR LOSS AND BEGIN REGROWING LOST HAIR- SEEN IN SHAPE, the KNOT, KATHY IRELAND SHOW: NutraM Topical Hair Growth Serum is a...
- TOTALLY GREASELESS TOPICAL FORMULA: easy to style your hair with the NutraM hair loss treatment formula that is totally...
There are plenty of hair serums in the market but what makes the NutraM Melatonin Hair Regrowth Serum is it wasn’t tested on animals! This cruelty-formulation is perfect for people who are against animal testing.
That’s not all. This serum contains nourishing, moisturizing, and rejuvenating natural extracts including melatonin, Niacin, Licorice, Green Tea, B5 and Grapefruit seed extract. All of these deliver maximum nutrients to the scalp and hair follicles.
- This features a lightweight and greaseless formula.
- It’s unscented too.
- The product comes with a 90-day moneyback guarantee.
- It’s free of wheat and gluten.
- The packaging comes with a dropper for ease of use.
- It may take 3 months to see results.
- This may make hair dry.
Based on these reviews of the best natural DHT blockers, you may have noticed that not all of these products are created equal. Some are effective while some don’t have the right ingredients for addressing your problem. That’s why you need to be more careful in choosing the product that you’ll use.
With that said, our top pick for this list is the Propidren by Hairgenics Hair Growth Serum because it contains Saw Palmetto, which is a known inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase. Along with that, it also includes a wide range of nourishing ingredients that promote hair health.