One of the best trends we have seen in the past is dyeing hair fun colors. It is bold, expressive, and easy to do at home for most of us. However, getting the wrong hair dye can lead to unwanted colors, especially when it comes to purple.
The wrong bottle can lead to uneven coloring or the wrong shade of purple. These eight best purple hair dyes will work for you once you get the correct color mixing and understanding of your hair type and tones.
They will help color your hair evenly and create a magical color that others will envy. It’s time to buy a box of color and try out one of these hair dyes.
Top Purple Hair Dyes That Deliver Good Results
To be fair, there are more than eight best purple hair dyes, but some are not as highly rated. For this list, we wanted to give you the inside scoop on each product. We will look at the pros and cons of each hair dye.
There is no right or wrong hair dye here; it depends on your preference and hair type. If you are worried about making the wrong choice, you can talk to your hairstylist and ask their opinions. Most of them started as kitchen beauticians too.
Arctic Fox Purple Rain
- We don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but Purple AF is one of our faves. Formally known as Purple Rain, this deep, true...
- #AFProTip: Purple AF pairs well with tons of other AF shades; try mixing it with some Wrath for a burgundy,...
- Made only from vegan ingredients with no animal by-products. No harmful chemicals in Arctic Fox hair dye that damage the hair...
Arctic Fox has to be at the top of the list. This brand creates some of the most amazing vegan products you will find on the market, and the best news is they are also cruelty-free. This specific color is a deep and vibrant purple.
The most remarkable thing about this brand is that they carry several different colors of purple. You can choose a deep purple like Purple Rain, a light Periwinkle, or a light purple pastel called Girls Night. Whatever you choose, you will get a glorious colored mane as long as you follow the directions.
Once you dye your hair this striking purple color, you will never look at another brand the same way. It is deep, but once you step into the sun, people are sure to notice the shine in your hair.
Pros Of Arctic Fox
- Gentle- Thanks to the vegan formula, this hair dye is soft and nourishing.
- Smells Nice- Unlike hair dye made with harsh chemicals that smell bad, this dye smells refreshing.
- No Ammonia- The ingredient that will harm your hair is not in this formula.
Cons Of Arctic Fox
- Stains- If you are not careful, this pigment can stain your hands and face.
- Bleeds- Like with most colors, this could bleed during every wash.
Manic Panic Velvet Violet
- Velvet Violet Creamtone Perfect Pastel Hair Dye Color; A Plush Pastel Orchid Hair Dye With Pink Undertones In Our Creamtones...
- Mixable Colors And Tones; All MANIC PANIC Hair Colors Are Safe To Mix To Create Custom Shades Making The Possibilities Of...
- Semi Permanent Hair Dye; This Semi Permanent Hair Dye Formula Gradually Fades In Four To Six Weeks Because It Does Not...
Manic Panic Velvet Violet is another vegan dye that is fantastic if you want bold colors. This professional hair color brand doesn’t do anything halfway. If you are looking for something super outrageous that will stand out, this brand is the one for you.
In this formula, you will find no harsh chemicals and no parabens. You will get a shockingly vibrant color that will stand out in a crowd. It will leave your hair soft and undamaged.
This color comes ready to go and is easy to put on and get superb results. If you are looking for a different shade of purple, you’re in luck. Manic Panic offers various shades of purple, all of them dazzling.
Pros of Manic Panic
- Tons of Colors- This brand has so many purples to choose from, and each will be effective.
- Vibrant- Every color you choose will have a unique vibrancy to it that makes it stand out.
- Safe- All hair types can use these products because they are safe and conditioning, rather than harsh and damaging.
Cons of Manic Panic
- Stains- Just like Arctic Fox, this leaves stains too. The difference? This brand leaves stains everywhere. All over your hands, face, pillows, and towels. You will have to be super careful with this formula because it is so rich.
- Semi Permanent Conditioning Hair Dye: Purple the royal color for nothing! Punky Purple evokes mystery, magic, and intrigue to...
- Non-Damaging & Conditions Hair: No need to add peroxide so this hair color is safe for all hair types. This will nourish...
- Long-Lasting & Vibrant Hair Color: With color-enhancing Keratin Complex for a more lasting intense, vivid color. It fades in...
This color by Jerome Russell will stay on longer than most other brands. The best news about Punky Color is that it is a straightforward application. You don’t need to be hair savvy to get the right results. If this is your first time coloring your hair a bold color, this might be the best place to start.
If you have dark-toned hair, this will create a remarkable contrast. On the other hand, if you have lighter hair, this will deeply penetrate your hair, making a stark difference between the light shade of your natural hair.
Pros of Punky Color
- Vibrant- Although it comes in a small bottle, the amount of pigment in the bottle is truly impressive.
- Stays On- This little bottle will allow the color to stay on your hair for an insanely long time compared to other brands.
- Vegetable Based- Unlike other formulas, this is a vegetable-based formula which means it is less likely to damage your hair.
Cons of Punky Color
- Staining- For most crazy colors, you will find staining to be the number one problem.
Adore Purple Rage
- 2 Pieces - 4 Ounce (118ml)
- Gives Hair A Beautiful, Sensual Feel,
- No Alcohol, Peroxide Or Ammonia,
If you are looking for another peroxide-free and ammonia-free hair color, Adore offers the perfect solution. It’s easy to use and comes in a squeeze tube. This dye is one of the best on the list if you look for a formula that does not fade quickly.
It will help you create extra dimensions with the bold color, and it will drastically stand out from the norm. This formula is a beautiful shade of vibrant purple, and it will stick to most hair types for a long time.
Their recipe is another vegan formula, and because of the sensitive formula, it will not cause scalp irritation. Instead of being ultra-careful during the application bottle, you can swipe it on quickly and be relaxed when putting it on. However, you will still want to ensure that it is applied evenly.
Pros of Adore Purple Rage
- Vegan- Thanks to the vegan formula, it is gentle on your hair and scalp.
- Nice Texture- Unlike some other formulas, this one is very creamy, making it easy to apply.
- Permanent- This is one of the only fully permanent instead of semi-permanent hair dye type on the list.
Cons of Adore Purple Rage
- Fading- It fades much faster than some of the other options on the list.
- Blue- Once it fades, it may turn a bluish hue that people do not like.
- Staining- Once again, it will stain if you are not careful.
L’oreal Paris Feria Power Violet
- Multi-Faceted Permanent Hair Color: This shimmering deep purple color with 3X highlights delivers intensified, brilliant...
- Nourishing Formula: Seals and smooths, never leaving hair dull or flat; Kit includes Conditioning Colour Crème, Conditioning...
- Bold Shades: Inspired by cutting-edge fashion and the latest trends, Feria offers multi-tonal, shimmering colors come in bold...
On this list, L’oreal Power Violet is one of the most accessible dyes to get. It is easily one of the best hair dyes for purple color because it is one of the most accessible brands. You can find this in any local convenience store or other stores like Walmart and Target.
Everything you need is in this hair kit. It comes with color, a developer, and a pre-solution to put in your hair before starting the process. You will get the most band for your buck from this dye kit, and the best part is that it comes with gloves to protect your hands from stains.
It works well on most hair types but keep in mind that this formula is slightly harsher than others on the list. Overall, it’s perfect for dyeing hair on a whim and a budget.
Pros of L’oreal Power Violet
- Buying Options- There are tons of buying options for this hair dye kit. It is one of the most accessible brands.
- Easy Application- This is a set that comes with all the professional pieces you will need to get the best results.
- Suitable For Beginners- This is an excellent option for beginners due to how easy the whole process is.
Cons of L’oreal Power Violet
- Frizzy- Since the formula is a little harsher than the others, your hair can look frizzy after. It will be essential to get a good hydrating shampoo and conditioner.
Lime Crime Purple Unicorn Hair Dye
- Genie Unicorn Hair Dye: Dyed and gone to Unicorn Heaven! Lime Crime Unicorn Hair is a DIY-friendly, semi-permanent color dye...
- Why You Need It: Not only does our damage-free, vegan hair dye give you fun, vibrant color, but this formula also contains...
- Before You Use It: Unicorn Hair deposits super-saturated, vibrant color to pre-lightened platinum to medium blonde hair and...
With a name like this, you know you will be getting a magical dye. This brand has created some unique and versatile hair products, including a bright purple that is remarkable. If you are looking for full coverage and an even tone throughout your hair, you can’t go wrong with Lime Crime.
The creamy texture is easy to apply and suitable for beginners. Since it’s an easy application, you won’t have to worry about making a big mess in your bathroom or wherever you’re coloring your hair.
Pros of Lime Crime
- Vegan- PETA has approved this brand and certified that it is vegan friendly.
- Non-Damaging- There are no harsh chemicals, and this formula won’t damage your hair.
- Conditioning- One of the best qualities of this product is that it is a conditioning formula that helps prevent damage from happening.
Cons of Lime Crime
- Texture- Although it is a creamy formula ready to use, many people do not like the thick texture. It can be hard to spread evenly. You will need a comb.
iroiro Purple Hair Color
- 100% Vegan & Cruelty Free. Our formulation is based on natural ingredients. Proudly Made in USA.
- Natural 100% organic coconut oil, natural yuzu-cranberry fragrance and natural preservative.
- Iroiro does not contain toxic, petro-based chemicals and synthetic preservatives.
The best thing about iroiro is that this salon-grade formula comes in many different colors. If you are looking for blues or purples, this is a great brand to turn to. The formula is soft and creamy, making it easy to glide over every inch of your hair.
This color is an all-in-one bottle meaning you won’t need to buy a developer to get your desired color. This brand has specific instructions to help you buy the right purple shade based on your natural hair color.
Pros for iroiro
- Suitable for Dark Hair– No matter your hair color, you will get a nice purple tone even with dark hair.
- Easy Application- Since you don’t need the extra products like a developer, it is easier to apply with little to no knowledge of hair products.
Cons for iroiro
- Thick- Although most people love the texture, if you have super fine hair, you may find the formula to be too thick for your hair.
Special Effects Pimpin Purple
- Semi-Permanent Cream Formula
- Vegan friendly, not tested on animals
- Conditions hair as it colors
Are you looking for a deep purple that is out of this world? Special Effects is a US-based brand that allows anyone to dye their hair. Special Effects is one of the best purple colors because you can directly apply it to your luscious hair without worrying about damage.
One of the best things about this product is that this shade of purple will glow in the dark. It is probably one of the coolest dyes you will find on the market, and the glow-in-the-dark feature makes your hair extra unique.
Pros of Special Effects Pimpin Purple
- Glow in The Dark- This is a glow-in-the-dark formula. It’s super awesome.
- Vegan- You may think there is no way a glow-in-the-dark formula can be safe, but this brand will prove you wrong. It is a vegan-based formula.
- Long-Lasting- It is one of the best ones if you need long-lasting dye results.
Cons of Special Effects Pimpin Purple
- Light- Some people think the shade is too light compared to other deeper purples.
- Bleeds- This brand is known to bleed, especially during hair washes.
How to Keep Hair From Bleeding or Staining
One of the biggest concerns is bleeding and stains. Unfortunately, there isn’t a ton you can do. We suggest wearing gloves and using a towel, so you don’t mind getting dirty. Don’t use white towels, and don’t wear a white shirt when dyeing your hair a bold color.
If you are worried about bleeding, try washing your hair every other day. If you have super greasy hair, it may bleed more. If you work out a ton and sweat, it can stain your skin. If you are worried about how much your hair is bleeding and the amount of color you are losing, you can invest in colored shampoo and conditioner that will help boost the look every week.
Which of the 8 Best Purple Hair Dyes is Right for You?
Our absolute favorite hair dye is Arctic Fox Purple Rain. For a light look, you can keep it on for 15-20 minutes. For a deeper look, you can keep it on for longer. It is one of the best purple hair dyes you will find on the market.