Learn how to help your hair combat stubborn humidity and find out about the best shampoos for frizzy hair that you should be trying out this summer.
With summer around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about what activities to do and where to travel.
Unfortunately, summer often brings an increase in humidity, depending on where you live.
If you’re prone to frizzy hair, you may see humidity as the ultimate enemy. When the summer comes, your hair might frizz up more than usual. Don’t let the humidity give you dry hair, and consequently, your summer!
With the help of a few products and changes to your routine, you’ll be able to prepare your hair on any humid day this summer might throw at you.
There are a number of shampoos specially made for frizzy hair. Help beat the humidity and keep your hair looking smooth all summer.
So what’s the best shampoo for frizzy hair? Read on to learn about the best shampoos for frizzy hair, and learn tips on how to stop the humidity from taking over your hair this summer.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
The most obvious answer to the question of what causes frizzy hair is humidity. Humidity is one of the top causes of frizzy hair, which is why you and everyone you know may have trouble taming your locks in the summer. However, there are a few other reasons that your hair may be frizzy, too.
The underlying cause of frizzy hair is a lack of moisture. If your hair is too dry, your hair cuticles become rough, which means that the layers of the cuticles no longer lie flat. This causes the cuticle to seek moisture from the air around it — so your hair puffs up. Some types of hair need more moisture than others, and if that’s you, you’ll need to be extra diligent in helping your hair retain moisture.
There are other factors beyond humidity that may be causing your hair to frizz:
- Showering with hot water: Hot water strips your hair of its natural oils which are essential in keeping it moisturized. It may feel nice, but if you continuously wash your hair in hot water, it will lose moisture at an excessive rate.
- Excessive use of hot styling tools: Constant heat will strip your hair of moisture over time. Using a heat protectant will help create a barrier between the tool and your hair, but if you heat-style your hair often, the effects may still be apparent.
- Washing your hair too often: While you should wash your hair regularly, shampoos may strip your hair of their essential oils if hair is washed too often. Even the best shampoos for frizzy hair should be used with a schedule in mind to avoid over-washing your hair.
- Split ends: No one likes split ends, but they can be the leading cause of your frizz and flyaways. Ironically, split ends are caused by a lack of moisture.
- Excessive brushing: Brushing wet hair too much may cause it to frizz as it dries.
Best Shampoos for Frizzy Hair
Preventing frizzy hair begins in the shower, meaning you need to use the right shampoo. In general, you should try to stay away from shampoos that are too rough on your hair and thus strip it of moisture.
Below is a list of the best shampoos for frizzy hair for you to try out this summer. Most of them have a matching curly hair conditioner that their brands recommend to use for best results, but the conditioner you use is up to you and what works best with your hair.
1. Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo – Best Overall
No products found.
Redken’s Frizz Dismiss Shampoo is perfect for taming frizzy and unruly hair. Using babassu oil, this shampoo nourishes the hair, leaving it looking healthy, shiny and smooth.
Most hair types will be able to benefit from this shampoo, so if you’re looking to give your hair a boost while hoping to control your frizz, look no further than this Frizz Dismiss Shampoo. Use the matching conditioner for best results.
- Great smell
- Not as effective on thick, coarse hair
2. VIRTUE Smooth Shampoo – Best Keratin Formula
- Formulated with our first-of-its-kind Alpha Keratin 60ku protein, Virtue Smooth Shampoo & Smooth Conditioner duo act as a...
- WHAT IT IS: A luxurious lathering shampoo with a soft and smooth finish.
- FRAGRANCE: A restorative blend of herbs, fruits, and citrus, incorporating soothing lavender and fresh mint essential oils.
The Virtue Smooth Shampoo is described as an “in-shower daily smoothing treatment for hair.” It works to tackle frizz by re-paving rough cuticles and reducing friction between hair strands to prevent further damage.
The shampoo leaves a soft and smooth finish and uses a keratin protein almost identical to the one in our own hair. This can help repair damage which is often the main cause of frizz.
- Suitable for all hair types, but especially frizz-prone hair
- Great fragrance
- Suitable for color-treated hair
3. OGX Extra Strength Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo – Best Smell
- REPAIR & REVIVE YOUR STRANDS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of OGX Extra Strength Damage Repair + Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo...
- TAME FRIZZ & FLYAWAYS: Ideal for dry or frizzy hair, the hydrating shampoo helps calm frizz and tame flyaways as if helps...
- HAIR CARE INSPIRED BY NATURE: The nourishing damage remedy blend contains coconut oil to help add luster, shine & softness to...
If you’re looking for an affordable option to tame frizz and flyaways as well as to repair and revive your hair while leaving it smelling great, OGX Damage Remedy + Coconut Miracle Oil Shampoo is right for you.
This shampoo hydrates frizzy hair to help soften it and reduce flyaways. The scent of creamy coconut, white peach and shea butter will have you feeling like it’s always summer.
- Ideal for thick and natural hair
- The shampoo itself is thick, which may not be everyone’s preference
4. Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo – Best for Thick Hair
- Silkening shampoo turns up the shine
- Cleanses without stripping moisture
- Nourishing shampoo fights frizz
This shampoo’s packaging is simple, but don’t let that fool you when it comes to assessing its effectiveness. Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo is made to tame thick, frizzy hair. The shampoo itself is thick and aims to coat every strand to replenish your hair with moisture.
Using Minuta Olive Extract from Italy, this shampoo for curly hair is made with quality ingredients. You’ll see and feel the difference in your hair throughout the day and all summer long.
- Made for thick and curly hair
- Enhances hair elasticity
- Products selectively sourced
- Only available in small bottles
5. Tea Tree Lemon Sage Thickening Shampoo – Best for Thin Hair
- Volumizing shampoo plumps up fine strands, so hair looks and feels clean, thick and healthy
- Contains thickening agents that boost volume, while panthenol strengthens every strand
- Helps strengthen and protect against split ends
Many anti-frizz shampoos are made with thick hair in mind because thick, curly hair is thought to be the most affected by humidity. If you have fine hair, you know that this is not true.
Nonetheless, it may seem difficult to find a shampoo that’s especially for you. Luckily, Tea Tree has a Lemon Sage Thickening Shampoo meant specifically for those with thinner strands.
This thickening shampoo gives fine hair some thickness to boost volume and strengthen the strands, which in return will reduce damage and frizz.
- Ideal if you have a fine hair type
- Fresh citrus smell
- On the pricier side
6. Biotera Anti-Frizz Intense Smoothing Shampoo – Best for Coarse Hair
No products found.
Biotera Anti-Frizz Intense Smoothing Shampoo is meant to keep hair smooth even on the most humid of days. The formula uses Camellia oil which is known for improving hair manageability by reducing frizz, softening hair and minimizing tangles.
This shampoo will tackle the thickest, coarsest of manes and help keep them frizz-free all day. Use the matching conditioner for a full, frizz-reducing treatment.
- Light floral fragrance
- Great for thick, curly hair
- Contains sulfates
7. ikoo infusions Shampoo – Best Ethically Sourced Shampoo
Ikoo infusions Shampoo is gentle on hair while still helping to reduce frizz. This shampoo uses Camellia seed oil to provide your hair with vitamins and nutrients while also helping to hydrate dry, frizzy hair.
Plus, the brand ensures that while they use the most natural ingredients, they do not harm animals or humans in the making of their products.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Natural ingredient base
- Slightly expensive, but reviewers say it’s worth it
8. John Frieda Frizz Ease Flawlessly Straight Shampoo – Best For Straightening
- BLOCKS FRIZZ AND IMPROVES MANAGEABILITY - Flawlessly Straight Shampoo is formulated to help smooth, soften and fight against...
- FORMULATED WITH KERATIN OIL - Our shampoo features Keratin and nourishes the unruly textures for softened, shiny hair
- CLEANSES DIFFICULT TO STRAIGHTEN HAIR - Set your hair up for successful straightening and styling without compromising the...
If you have curly hair and straighten it, then you know that your flat iron is not the only factor that contributes to the success of straightening your hair. When you want to straighten curly hair, the process starts in the shower.
If you don’t use the right shampoo — one that’s meant to combat frizz – then your straightened hair is no match for a humid summer’s day.
The John Frieda Frizz Ease Flawlessly Straight Shampoo works to hydrate hair and even-out the texture to make straightening your hair easier and more effective. For best results, pair this straightening shampoo with the matching conditioner!
- Suitable for people who straighten their hair often
- Safe shampoo for color-treated hair
- Does not lather as easily as other brands
9. Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Shampoo for Frizzy Hair – Most Affordable
- Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Shampoo with fairly and sustainably sourced Argan Oil from Morocco soaks into frizzy, dry...
- Fight Frizz with Sleek and Shine: Tame your frizz with shampoo and conditioner, and finish with styling sprays, creams, and...
- Nourish and Style with Garnier Fructis: From Mega Full to Anti Frizz hair products Garnier has shampoos, leave in...
If you’re looking for an affordable anti-frizz shampoo that will simply get the job done, Garnier Fructis has you covered. Their Sleek and Shine shampoo is inexpensive, yet effective in taming frizz and nourishing hair.
Using sustainably sourced Argan oil, the nutrients in this shampoo can hydrate and give your hair a sleek look. Plus, it has long-lasting frizz control, even lasting in 97 percent humidity.
- Contains argan oil
- Long-lasting frizz control
- It may not be as effective on coarse hair
- The formula is not as gentle as other brands
10. Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo – Best for Dry Hair
- A gentle cleansing formula for normal to dry hair
- Argan oil, red algae, and vitamins A and E increase manageability and shine
- Sulfate, phosphate, and paraben-free
Moroccanoil is known for the quality of its products and the positive effects they can have on dry hair, and their Hydrating Shampoo is no exception.
The formula deeply hydrates and conditions the hair while improving its texture, manageability and shine. This shampoo is also great to use if you tend to straighten your hair often.
- Gentle enough for daily use
- Rich in nutrients
- Uses argan Oil
- May not lather as well as other brands
11. SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo – Best for Curly and Natural Hair
- Intensive Hydration Shampoo: This SheaMoisture sulfate free shampoo cleanses while infusing damaged hair with intense...
- HYDRATE & REPLENISH DRY, DAMAGED HAIR: Rich hair shampoo, blended with restorative oils, helps to soften and revitalize hair
- KEY INGREDIENTS in this moisturizing sulfate free shampoo: Manuka Honey, Mafura Oil, Fig Extract
Natural, afro-textured hair is unique, and therefore unique products must often be used to maintain it. When it comes to natural hair and frizz, moisture is key in controlling it.
Shea Moisture’s Intensive Hydration Shampoo nourishes, smooths and moisturizes natural hair to combat frizz. Using Mafura oil and Manuka honey, this shampoo infuses your natural hair with nutrients and helps it shine.
- Ideal for natural hair
- Contains raw shea butter
- Has a distinct scent — not everyone’s preference
12. IGK THIRSTY GIRL Coconut Milk Anti-Frizz Shampoo – Best for Split Ends
- 8 Fl. Oz.
- Salon Born, Client Approved
- Package Height: 5.7 Inches
The IGK Thirsty Girl Anti-Frizz Shampoo locks in moisture to help eliminate frizz while helping to smooth and strengthen split ends.
The hyaluronic acid technology and coconut milk in this shampoo help protect against humidity without weighing down your hair. Plus, this shampoo will leave your hair smelling amazing.
- Ideal for split ends
- Great smell
- Protects against humidity
- Does not lather as much as other shampoos
Other Tips for Managing Frizzy Hair
Although choosing the right shampoo is the first step in helping your hair beat the summer humidity, you’ll see the best results if you make some additional changes to your routine.
Here are some extra tips to reduce frizzy hair:
- Shower at a lower temperature, so that your hair is able to better retain its moisture.
- Give your hair a break from the heated styling tools. If you straighten or curl your hair with a heated styling tool often, then use a hair serum. If you use a hair serum, be sure to condition your hair first.
- Conditioners are your best friend when it comes to adding moisture to your hair in order to prevent frizz. You can condition your hair in the shower or use a leave-in conditioner to retain the most amount of moisture.
If you’re dreading summer because it means the return of your frizzy hair, don’t fret. Frizzy hair doesn’t need to mean damaged hair!
Using the right products to help your hair retain moisture will greatly help reduce your hair’s frizz. Beating frizz starts the shower, and if you try at least one of the best shampoos for frizzy hair listed above, you can begin to see a difference in your hair and learn how to manage it better in the summer months.