You can use different products on your hair, but they may not give you the desired results or might be too expensive.
Some people opt for a natural DIY method like rice water since it’s inexpensive and easy to make. Rice water is effective in repairing and strengthening your hair.
Your hair deserves some extra care to grow longer and healthier. For that, some people use rice water. But can you spray rice water on hair daily? Let’s find out.
Can I Spray Rice Water on My Hair Everyday?
Yes, applying rice water to your hair daily is okay.
Applying rice water to your hair daily enables it to reap maximum benefits. Rice water contains amino acids that regenerate, strengthen hair roots, and speed up hair growth.
The starch and proteins in rice water coat the hair to make it appear thicker and shinier. If your hair is entangled, rice water may help you detangle it and make combing less painful.
How To Make Rice Water for Your Hair
To prepare rice water, you must extract starch from the rice grain. Here are three main methods you can use to prepare rice water.
Soaking is the easiest method to prepare rice water.
- Take one cup of raw rice and rinse it thoroughly to remove dirt or impurities.
- Place the rice in a wide bowl and add two or three cups of water
- Allow the rice to soak in water for about one hour until the water becomes cloudy
- Strain the water into another clean bowl using a sieve
Fermentation is another popular method for preparing rice water to apply to your hair. Most people like this method since fermenting rice water lowers its pH, thus enhancing mineral and vitamin absorption. The water also becomes less irritating to the scalp.
- Take one cup of uncooked rice and rinse it thoroughly
- Place the rice in a clean bowl, and add two or three cups of water
- Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes until the water becomes cloudy
- Strain the water into a different clean bowl
- Pour the water into a clear bottle and close the opening with a tight lid
- Place the bottle in a dark place and let it stay there for a few days until the water starts to smell sour
- Put the bottle in a refrigerator until you are ready to use it
Boiling is the most effective when preparing rice water to apply to your hair since heat boosts starch extraction.
- Place one cup of raw rice in a cooking pot and add about one or two cups of water.
- Boil the rice with medium heat for about 15 minutes
- Keep an eye on the rice to ensure the water isn’t evaporating too much. If so, lower the heat even more or cover the pot
- Strain the rice water into a clean bowl and preserve it
Tips for Using Rice Water Daily
You can apply rice water directly to the hair or with soap nuts.
You can directly use rice water to treat your scalp after shampooing your hair. The first step involves using a generous amount of rice water in your hair and scalp.
For the treatment to be effective, massage your scalp to enhance absorption. Alternatively, you can put on a shower cap for some minutes and then rinse off the water afterward.
You can also use rice water as a shower rinse to give your hair a glossy finish. This method is the best if you have oily hair.
Mixing With Soap Nuts
Another way to use rice water is to make your homemade shampoo. All you need to do is add soap nuts to the rice water and stir it thoroughly until the mixture becomes soapy.
When making shampoo with rice water, only prepare the amount you need at that moment since it doesn’t have a long shelf life. If you prepare a lot, remember to refrigerate it.
Can You Use Rice Water Daily Without Shampooing?
You can use rice water to wash your hair daily without shampoo. You should first dilute the rice water and then pour clean tap water on your hair until it’s completely wet.
Next, apply the rice water to your hair and massage your scalp with your fingertips for a few minutes so it can evenly spread to all parts of your head. Then, rinse off the rice water.