Want to fix your damaged hair with natural hair masks? Inexpensive and easy to make, some have been quite successful when it comes to accomplishing what they promise, like the banana hair mask.
Like other homemade hair masks – such as coconut milk, grapes, sugar, mango with avocado, jelly, and okra – adding one of the most popular fruits can be a unique chance to repair the damage on the capillary fiber and, with that, retrieve your hair’s brightness and softness, while putting an end to the frizzy look.
Benefits of Banana Hair Mask
#1. It’s easy to make.
All you need for this DIY hair mask is a ripe banana and a blender or fork. Mash up the banana until it’s smooth and creamy, and you’re ready to go!
#2. It’s affordable.
Bananas are a cheap and accessible ingredient, making this hair mask an affordable option for those on a budget.
#3. It’s packed with nutrients.
Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamins A, B6, and C, and amino acids. These nutrients are great for nourishing and strengthening hair, promoting growth, and adding shine.
#4. It can help with hair loss.
The nutrients found in bananas can help prevent hair loss by strengthening the roots and nourishing the scalp.
#5. It can improve manageability.
Using a banana hair mask can make your hair more manageable and easier to style. The nourishing properties of the banana can help to smooth frizz and tame flyaways.
#6. It’s suitable for all hair types.
Whether you have curly, straight, oily, or dry hair, a banana hair mask can benefit all hair types.
#7. It’s a natural alternative.
Many commercial hair products contain harmful chemicals that can damage hair in the long run. Using a natural banana hair mask is a great alternative to these products, as it’s free from harsh chemicals and gentle on hair.
#8. It’s good for your scalp.
The nutrients present in bananas can also help to soothe a dry, itchy scalp, reducing dandruff and other scalp irritations.
Disadvantages of a Using Banana Hair Mask
- Scalp Irritation – Any hairstylist educated about hair masks will tell you that in order to avoid irritation to your scalp, a hair mask must be washed out completely. The substances of a banana have the ability to cause itchiness if even a little bit is left on for too long. To be sure it’s all out, rinse your hair a couple of times.
- Dandruff – Again, if not washed out completely, a banana hair mask can actually cause more dandruff. Avoid this by not letting the mask dry in your hair.
- Allergies – Before using a banana hair mask, check if you’re allergic to latex or avocado. Health officials say that people with these allergies would also be better off avoiding bananas.
- Oily or Greasy Scalp – Just like when you use conditioner or other hair products too often, applying a hair mask too often can make your scalp and hair feel oily, greasy, or like it has a film over it. This may dampen the effects of your other hair products.
Who Should Use a Banana Hair Mask
The banana hair mask can be applied to any type of hair that is very dry, thin, weak, brittle, barely pliable, with abnormal fall, or damaged by the use of chemical products and procedures.
For such hair, the homemade mixture of fruit with other natural ingredients and its treatment mask may be helpful in curbing excessive volume, preventing split ends, controlling frizz, and adding more softness and shine.
On the other hand, you should always keep in mind that, as with any cosmetic product, the result may vary from hair to hair.
But don’t worry, because there is no need to! Since the process is entirely done with natural ingredients, nothing can harm your hair or cause side effects.
How to Make Banana Hair Mask at Home
After knowing the advantages of banana hair mask, I bet that you are curious to know how you can apply it in your hair. Check the step-by-step guide on DIY recipes to making 7 different banana hair masks at home.
|Banana Hair Mask||Suitable Hair Type|
|Banana and Avocado Hair Mask||Brittle hair|
|Banana and Coconut Oil Hair Mask||All hair types|
|Banana and Egg Hair Mask||Dry and oily hair|
|Banana and Olive Oil Hair Mask||Damaged and frizzy hair|
|Banana and Honey Hair Mask||Dry and weak hair|
|Banana and Aloe Vera Hair Mask||Weak and shineless hair|
|Banana and Yogurt Hair Mask||Damaged, shineless, and dry hair|
#1. Banana and Honey Hair Mask
A banana and honey hair mask is a simple and effective way to give your hair a healthy boost. Here’s how to make and apply this DIY hair mask.
- Gather your ingredients: ripe banana, 2 tablespoons of honey, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil (optional).
- Mash the banana in a bowl until completely smooth.
- Add honey and essential oil (if using) to the mashed banana and stir until well combined.
- Wet your hair and apply the mask from roots to tips, massaging it into your scalp to stimulate circulation.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and let the mask sit for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the nutrients to penetrate your hair shaft.
- Rinse the mask out thoroughly with warm water and shampoo your hair as usual.
- Dry your hair and enjoy the soft and shiny results!
- Repeat this process once a week to keep your hair healthy and nourished.
#2. Banana and Avocado Hair Mask
A banana and avocado hair mask is a popular DIY hair treatment. It can help you improve your hair health.
Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamins A, B6, and C, and amino acids. Avocados contain healthy fats and vitamins E and D. Together, these ingredients can help to moisturize, strengthen, and protect hair from damage.
Here’s how you can prepare a banana and avocado hair mask at home:
- Gather one ripe banana, one ripe avocado, and one tablespoon of olive oil
- Peel the banana and remove the pit from the avocado, mash them together with a fork to form a smooth paste
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the paste and mix thoroughly
- Apply the mask to your hair, starting at the roots and working down to the ends
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the mask on for 30 minutes
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water
- Use shampoo if necessary and rinse again
- Enjoy your soft, silky hair
- Use this hair mask once a week to maintain healthy, shiny hair.
#3. Banana and Yogurt Hair Mask
A banana and yogurt hair mask is a great way to nourish and revitalize your hair without breaking the bank. Both bananas and yogurt have moisturizing properties that help to hydrate and revitalize dry, damaged hair. So, this hair mask will help you to reduce frizz and promote a healthy shine.
Here’s how to make and use this DIY hair mask:
- You’ll need one ripe banana, one tablespoon of honey, and half a cup of plain yogurt.
- Mash the banana until it’s smooth and free of lumps in a bowl using a fork or a blender.
- Once the banana is mashed, add one tablespoon of honey and half a cup of plain yogurt. Mix everything together until you have a smooth, consistent mixture.
- Before applying the mask, make sure your hair is clean and free of any tangles. Section your hair and apply the mask from the roots to the tips. Use a comb to distribute the mask evenly throughout your hair.
- After applying the mask, cover your hair with a shower cap or a towel and leave it on for 30 minutes to nourish your hair.
- After 30 minutes, rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water to remove all traces of the mask.
- Once you’ve rinsed your hair, style it as usual to reveal softer, shinier, and more manageable hair.
#4. Banana and Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut oil is a natural conditioner. It helps to prevent split ends and also rich in fatty acids. So, it penetrate the hair shaft and helps to moisturize hair.
- Mash one ripe banana until it is smooth.
- Add two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, making sure to cover all strands from root to tip.
- Use a shower cap to keep the mixture in place and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mask out of your hair with warm water.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Your hair will feel soft, moisturized, and nourished.
- For best results, use this hair mask once a week.
- You can add other ingredients to the mixture to target specific hair concerns.
- For example, honey can be added for extra moisture, while lemon juice can be added to help with dandruff and scalp issues.
#5. Banana and Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mash one ripe banana and mix it with one tablespoon of olive oil. Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Gather one ripe banana and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mash the banana until smooth.
- Mix in the olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to hair, focusing on ends and damaged areas.
- Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse the mask out with warm water and shampoo and condition as usual.
- Use once a week for best results. Enjoy soft and shiny hair!
#6. Banana and Egg Hair Mask
Banana and egg hair mask is a popular DIY hair treatment that is known to promote healthy hair growth, prevent hair breakage, and add shine to dull hair. This hair mask is easy to make and can be used by anyone with any hair type.
- Gather the ingredients: one ripe banana, one egg, and two tablespoons of honey.
- Mash the banana in a bowl until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Beat the egg and add it to the banana paste. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add two tablespoons of honey and mix again.
- Apply the hair mask to your hair, starting from the roots to the tips.
- Massage the mask gently to ensure it’s distributed evenly.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave the mask on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and use a mild shampoo to remove any residue.
- Rinse again with cool water to seal the hair cuticles and add shine.
#7. Banana and Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Banana and aloe vera hair mask is a natural and effective way to nourish and strengthen your hair. Bananas are packed with vitamins and minerals that help to moisturize and condition your hair, while aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe and repair your scalp.
To make this hair mask, you will need:
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (optional)
To prepare the hair mask, follow these steps:
- Mash the ripe banana in a bowl until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the aloe vera gel and coconut oil (if using) and mix well.
- Apply the mask to your hair, starting from the roots and working your way to the tips.
- Massage your scalp gently to ensure that the mask is evenly distributed.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and leave the mask on for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water and shampoo as usual.
After knowing the advantages of banana hair mask, I bet that you are curious to know how you can apply it in your hair. Check the step-by-step guide below and get super moisturized hair.
How Often Should You Use A Banana Hair Mask For The Best Result?
- It is recommended to use a banana hair mask once a week.
- However, the frequency may vary depending on your hair type and condition.
- If you have oily hair, you may want to use it less frequently, while those with dry or damaged hair may benefit from using it more often.
- It is important to listen to your hair and adjust the frequency accordingly.
Check out more ingredients that help grow healthy hair: