Vo5 shampoos are cheap. Does it mean they are bad? If you go to the internet, you’ll find many different reviews, which contradict each other. The reason is: there is no such thing as an all-purpose shampoo.
If you haven’t tried Vo5 shampoo before and wondering whether it’s good for your locks, I’d recommend looking at the list of ingredients.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate –A common ingredient used in shampoos for cleaning and creating foam. So this one poses no threat to your hair and you are unlikely to see many shampoos without it.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – A common surfactant which is derived from coconut all. It eases the surface tension making the shampoo easier to lather.
- Ammonium Chloride – pH regulator.
- Vitamin E – A great vitamin to help your hair grow healthy and shiny.
- Vitamin B5 and Vitamin A – Useful vitamins for healing your hair and giving it sufficient nutrition.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin D – Much-needed vitamins that help your locks withstand environmental factors and prevent split ends.
- Octoxynol-9 – This common shampoo ingredient is also considered a sensitizer, which can lead to an allergic reaction. It may contain impurities that can cause health problems.
- Tetrasodium EDTA – Improves the effect of cosmetic preservatives and decreases water hardness. It has a low toxicity level but may be harmful when used in large doses.
- DMDM Hydantoin – Antimicrobial agent, preservative. It can cause problems for people allergic to formaldehyde.
- Citric Acid – pH regulator. In the USA, it doesn’t even need to be listed as an ingredient if used for pH regulation only.
Here are some frequently asked questions about v05 shampoo.
Traditional V05 shampoo is not sulfate-free, but a line of sulfate-free shampoo from V05 is available for purchase.
You shouldn’t use human shampoo on dogs. Using human shampoo on dogs disrupts their acid mantle since their pH balance is more neutral than humans.
Though V05 is not sulfate-free, their shampoo products are silicone free! Double check the ingredients of the specific shampoo you buy to be sure, but V05 products do not typically contain silicones. Conditioners from the brand are always silicone free.
Traditional variations of V05 products do contain parabens. However, there is a line that you can buy that is paraben free. This paraben-free line also addresses four major hair concerns.
These include dryness, split ends, volume deficiency, and anti-frizz. This formula is made with a nourishing 5-vitamin blend to keep hair healthy.
According to their frequently asked questions section of their site, V05 products are safe for color-treated hair. They are also safe to use on keratin-treated hair.
If you are wary of using this product on your hair due to color or other types of hair treatments, ask your hairstylist for recommendations.
While V05 offers excellent products for people with straight hair, it is not the best brand to use if you have naturally curly hair. Many of the ingredients in V05 products cause build-up, dryness, and breakage in people with curly hair.
If you want to try out their products on your curly hair, design your hair care routine to help mitigate some of the breakage and potential damage the ingredients could cause to your curls.
As you can see when looking at the ingredient list, the Vo5 shampoo contains useful components for stimulating hair growth and nourishing your locks. As for dangerous ingredients, only Octoxynol-9 seems to pose a problem, but the quantity is so minuscule that it should not harm.