If you’re a redhead, maintaining your hair can be a bit challenging at times. There’s plenty of advice floating around about how to maintain that gorgeous hue, including purple shampoo.
What does purple shampoo do to your red hair?
Don’t worry, we can explain everything you need to know to decide if purple shampoo is the right choice for your red hair.
Is It Safe to Use Purple Shampoo on Red Hair?
It’s perfectly safe to use purple shampoo on both natural and dyed red hair. In fact, purple shampoo can be beneficial for dyed red hair by counteracting unwanted orange or brassiness. However, it’s essential to use purple shampoo moderately, as excessive use can lead to dry hair.
While purple shampoo won’t harm your hair, it won’t have much effect on your natural red color. So purple shampoo is an unnecessary product for natural redheads.
What Does Purple Shampoo Do to Red Hair?
As noted above, purple shampoo doesn’t benefit a natural redhead.
But there are two exceptions. First, if you happen to be a redhead with a lot of blonde or orangish highlights. The purple shampoo could offset those highlights and enhance the redness.
The other exception is if you dye your hair. Even then, it depends on what color you dye your red tresses because purple shampoo neutralizes yellow or brassy tones.
When you use purple shampoo on dyed red hair, several things can happen.
For lighter red shades, like strawberry blonde or copper, purple shampoo can help maintain the vibrancy and depth of the red color by removing the yellow and orange brassy tone.
On darker red shades, such as burgundy or auburn, purple shampoo may add a slight pink or magenta tint, slightly altering the hue.
When Should You Use Purple Shampoo on Your Red Hair?
The best time to use purple shampoo on red hair is when you notice the presence of yellow or orange tones creeping in. It’s usually an issue when the red starts to fade and the underlying natural tones shine through.
Using purple shampoo at this stage can help restore the vibrancy of your red color and keep it looking fresh for longer.
Since purple shampoo doesn’t do much for a natural redhead, it might be better to consider a different option that could enhance those gorgeous tones. Try these three alternative shampoo options:
- Pink Shampoo: In the color wheel, pink is adjacent to red. So, the pink tint can blend well with your red hair.
- Clear Shampoo: The non-tinted shampoo is ideal for all types of red hair
- Red Shampoo: The red shampoo accentuates the red color in your hair, making your hair look vibrant. It’s the ideal shampoo for your hair and will protect your hair from UV.
Tips for Safely Using Purple Shampoo on Dyed-Red Hair
Here are some tips for using purple shampoo on dye red hair:
- Patch Test First: Before applying it to your entire head, do a strand test. Apply the purple shampoo to a small, inconspicuous section of hair and wait for the recommended amount of time. Rinse and observe any changes to ensure it doesn’t adversely affect your hair color.
- Use Sparingly: Purple shampoo is potent, so use it sparingly. Start by using it once a week or less frequently, depending on how your hair responds.
- Short Application Time: Leave the shampoo in your hair for only a short time, usually between 2 to 5 minutes. Leaving it on for too long can cause purple tints in your hair.
- Rinse Thoroughly: After the allotted time, rinse your hair thoroughly to ensure all shampoo is washed out. This prevents any purple pigment from lingering in your hair.
- Follow with Conditioner: Use a good quality conditioner after rinsing out the shampoo. This helps to hydrate your hair and maintain its health, as toning shampoos can be drying.
- Monitor Hair Condition: Pay attention to how your hair reacts after using purple shampoo. If you notice dryness or brittleness, reduce the frequency of use and consider using a more nourishing shampoo in between.
So, What Happens If You Use Purple Shampoo on Red Hair?
Purple shampoo doesn’t do much for natural red hair but it can help people who dye their hair red. The shampoo can reduce brassiness and enhance vibrancy in your dyed red hair. Additionally, it can reduce the yellowish and orangish tints as your red hair color fades.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about purple shampoo and red hair.
The purple shampoo will neither lighten or darken your red hair. As a color shampoo and a toner, it’ll give your dyed red hair a more vibrant appearance.
The desire to wash your red hair daily with purple shampoo can be tempting. But you should wash it twice or less per week.
Purple shampoo doesn’t work like a dye. Let the shampoo sit on the head for a maximum of 5 minutes.