Copper hair color can look so striking when freshly dyed, but it also tends to fade quickly, which can be frustrating. The vibrancy of those warm red and orange tones doesn’t last as long as we would like.
Though coppers and reds are some of the most difficult hair dyes to remove from hair, they are the first ones to fade.
While it is impossible to prevent fading completely, there are several effective techniques to extend the life of your copper color and maintain hair that looks salon-fresh.
So, we’ll share some helpful tips for keeping dyed copper locks looking rich and vibrant for as long as possible based on insight from stylists and colorists. Keep reading to find out what they are.
How To Maintain Copper Hair
Follow these tips so that you can preserve the richness of freshly dyed copper locks.
1. Use a Color-Safe Shampoo
One of the best ways to maintain your copper hair is by using color-safe shampoo.
Every time you shampoo your hair, a bit of your beautiful copper pigment washes away. But, color-safe shampoos are designed to be particularly gentle on colored hair.
Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfates. Sulfates can be very cleansing, but they strip the hair of its natural oils and take your color along with it.
If you feel that you need a deep, clarifying cleanse, use a shampoo that contains elements such as charcoal or apple cider vinegar.
You can also make your own apple cider vinegar cleanse by diluting it with water and applying it to your hair like you would a shampoo.
Keep in mind that even if a shampoo bottle says “color safe,” it still may not be. By checking the ingredients list, you can ensure that the shampoo truly is color-safe.
Expert Tip: When shampooing your hair, don’t use hot water. Hot water opens the cuticle, or outside barrier of the hair, and can cause your copper hair to fade quicker.
Instead, use cold water to shampoo your hair. It may take a bit of getting used to if you’re accustomed to taking steamy showers, but it’s worth it!
By using the right shampoo, you will avoid needless fading and extend the life of your gorgeous copper color!
2. Use Copper-Pigmented Conditioners
Pigmented conditioners and conditioning masks are great for refreshing and maintaining your copper hair.
They hydrate your hair while adding a hint of pigment to it, leaving your copper locks shiny and vibrant.
Pigmented conditioners are available in a wide variety of colors and tones. Depending on your particular shade of copper, you may go with a conditioner that contains more of a golden copper tone, or you may choose one that contains a red copper pigment.
Personally, I have the Maria Nila “Colour Refresh” mask in the peach tone, which adds just a hint of light pinkish-orange to my dyed copper hair.
Below is a step-by-step guide for refreshing your copper hair with a pigmented conditioner/mask:
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly. You may need to shampoo twice to thoroughly cleanse your hair.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out of your hair.
- Apply the pigmented conditioner from your roots to your ends.
- Let the conditioner sit on your hair for at least 5 minutes. For more pigmented results, leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out the conditioner with cool water.
Using a pigmented conditioner or mask regularly will help maintain and refresh your stunning copper color while hydrating and nourishing your hair!
3. Refresh with Carrot Juice
Yes, you read that right! Carrot juice contains a vibrant reddish-orange pigment that can refresh your copper color and benefit your hair and scalp. This is currently at the top of my list of new things to try.
In addition to their orange pigment, carrots contain lots of vitamins that help improve the health of your hair. In fact, many people apply carrot oil to their scalp to support hair growth. So, if you want to refresh your copper color while giving your hair and scalp some extra care, carrot juice is a great option.
Below is a step-by-step guide for refreshing your copper hair with carrot juice:
- Purchase pre-made carrot juice, or make it yourself by blending some carrots with water in a food processor. (Strain out any chunks before putting it on your hair.)
- Pour the carrot juice all over your hair, from roots to ends.
- Put a plastic cap on your hair and let the carrot juice sit for at least an hour.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and cool water.
- Condition your hair with a deep conditioner, and rinse it out with cool water.
If you like the idea of refreshing your copper color while saturating your hair and scalp with beneficial vitamins, try using carrot juice!
4. Protect Your Dyed Copper Hair
It’s great to refresh your copper color, but the goal is to prevent it from fading in the first place! To prevent your beautiful copper hair color from fading, you must protect it from the sun, chlorine, and heat damage.
It’s a known fact that the powerful UV rays from the sun can act as a bleaching agent. Exposing your vibrant copper hair to too much sunlight can cause your color to fade and lighten.
To protect your hair, simply use a wide-brimmed hat or spray-on hair and scalp sunscreen. The barrier between the UV rays and your hair will protect your color from fading.
Chlorine is a disinfectant chemical that can cause your hair to fade and dry out. If you live anywhere with public water services, chlorine is unavoidable.
However, you can protect your hair from excess exposure to chlorine by wearing a swim cap or hair wrap when you go to the pool and by attaching a water softener/de-chlorinator to your shower head.
Minimizing your hair’s exposure to chlorine will prevent damage and help maintain your vibrant copper color.
The use of excessive heat can ruin both the texture and color of your hair. Severe heat damage can even cause hair discoloration.
If you style your hair with heat, use a good heat protectant and a lower heat setting. Also, do not apply heat to your hair every day.
Try styling your hair in different ways that don’t require heat. The health of your hair and the appearance of its copper color will benefit from your efforts.
By protecting your hair from the damaging effects of the sun, chlorine, and excess heat, you can keep your hair healthy, and keep your copper color vibrant.
Maintaining dyed copper hair can be a challenge, but it is not impossible. It is true that copper colors fade quickly, but there are many things you can do to slow down the fading process and keep your color vibrant. By utilizing the tips in this article, you will be able to rock your gorgeous copper hair every day!
Key Things to Remember:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo.
- If you need to clarify your hair, use a shampoo that contains charcoal or apple cider vinegar.
- Refresh your copper hair color with a pigmented conditioner. Pigmented conditioners come in a variety of tones.
- Refresh your copper color and benefit the health of your hair by using carrot juice.
- Protect your copper hair from the bleaching powers of the sun by using a wide-brimmed hat or scalp and hair sunscreen.
- Protect your copper hair from heat damage and excessive exposure to chlorine in order to prevent fading.