So many of us work backwards by trying to fix hair once it’s already been damaged. However, using coconut oil as a pre-treatment will minimize any future stress on the hair once it’s been dyed.
The benefits of coconut oil for your hair and skin are widely known. While it’s not ideal for every hair type, this oil contains a rich blend of vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the hair and scalp while effectively penetrating the hair’s cuticle.
Can You Use Coconut Oil Before Dyeing Your Hair?
Yes, you can dye your hair with coconut oil in it.
Applying coconut oil before dyeing your hair is absolutely safe and won’t affect the hair color. Just make sure your hair is not full of oil, rather the oil is absorbed by the scalp. Too much coconut oil can make your dye less effective. You can also get a hot oil treatment a couple of days before your dyeing appointment to protect your hair from the dryness of the chemicals present in the hair products.
Why Use Coconut Oil Before Dyeing Your Hair
As for dyed hair, below are three definitive reasons that using coconut oil before coloring is beneficial and an absolute must.
It’s your best defense against bleach.
Adding coconut oil to your hair the night before your color appointment will help the hair build its defense against bleach and will soothe and protect the scalp against the peroxide found in the dye.
You’re more than welcome to add the oil to your hair an hour before your appointment, but the longer it’s on your hair, the more benefits you’ll reap from its magic.
Prevents protein loss in the hair
Instead of dealing with dry, brittle strands, coconut oil will enrich them so no damage can even begin. Coconut oil is known to strengthen hair, but not because of actual proteins contained within it.
It’s primarily made up of lauric acid, an ingredient that sustains and restores the protein structure found in each of your hair’s strands.
Speeds up the bleaching process
Many people have tested this method and can attest that adding the pre-dying coconut oil treatment translates to less time in the salon chair. It also ensures hair will maintain that gorgeous bounce, even right after dyeing.
No matter how clean some of your hair products are, nothing replaces oil found in nature. Unfortunately, even some of the best hair oils on the market contain parabens, alcohol, or other drying elements.
When you use coconut oil on your hair before a big dye job, you can be sure you’re feeding your hair with only the best of the best.
Coconut oil is enriching and protective for your colored hair. So get your hands on a jar of this cheap yet stunningly rich oil and strengthen your dyed locks from root to tip.
How To Apply Coconut Oil Before Dyeing Your Hair?
- Apply coconut oil to your hair the night before dyeing, allowing up to 12 hours for absorption.
- Start at the roots using a fine-toothed comb or tinting brush, and work your way to the tips.
- Massage a small amount of coconut oil into your scalp to prevent irritation and promote growth.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap and let the oil absorb overnight.
- In the morning, apply the dye or bleach directly on top of the remaining coconut oil without rinsing.
- Use more dye than usual to account for the presence of coconut oil.
- Follow the directions for your chosen dye or bleach as usual.
- Rinse out the coconut oil and dye or bleach, noticing brighter color and softer hair.
- If desired, perform another coconut oil mask after washing out the dye for added softness and shine.
Can you use coconut oil after dyeing your hair?
Yes, you can use coconut oil after dyeing your hair.
After dyeing or bleaching your hair, it loses natural oils and protective proteins, which can lead to dry, brittle, and damaged hair.
Using coconut oil after dyeing your hair helps to restore these natural oils, providing a protective layer that prevents further damage. Coconut oil is used like a leave-in conditioner that can repair hair damage, and prevent mats, tangles, and split ends.
Additionally, it restores natural shine and improves overall softness, resulting in healthier and better-looking hair.
So, Can You Dye Your Hair With Coconut Oil In It?
Yes, you can dye your hair with coconut oil in it.
Coconut oil offers numerous haircare benefits such as untangling, deep conditioning, and protection from heat and chemical damage. Applying coconut oil to your hair in the days leading up to dyeing serves as a preventive measure against excessive damage from bleaching or coloring.
Some effects of using coconut oil before dyeing your hair include:
- Improved moisture retention in the hair
- Enhanced maintenance of natural proteins, reducing breakage, dryness, and damage
- Creation of a protective layer on the hair, counteracting the drying effects of bleach and hair dye
Using coconut oil as a preventative treatment can help keep your hair lightweight, glossy, and relatively healthy despite the harsh chemicals involved in hair color treatments.
- Coconut Oil & Lemon for Gray Hair
- How To Use Coconut Oil As Heat Protectant
- Argan Oil Vs. Coconut Oil: Hair Benefits Compared
- How Long Can I Leave Coconut Oil on My Hair?
- How Long to Keep Coconut Oil in Bleached Hair?
- How Often to Use Coconut Oil on My Hair?
- Can I Put Coconut Oil After A Keratin Treatment?
- Does Coconut Oil Fade Your Hair Color?