Hair grease is popular nowadays and both men and women are using it for many reasons. It’s quite normal to have hair trouble, even on the most unexpected days. Top on the list of hair troubles is frizz, making you want to do away with your hair! But what happens when it strikes? Try some hair grease and wait for the results.
What Is Hair Grease?
As the name suggests, hair grease products are made out of petroleum and mineral oil. These two ingredients are the perfect combination that makes hair grease your all-time hair sealant.
Hair grease is useful for eliminating and preventing frizz in natural hair. The main cause of frizz is dryness of the scalp and hair in general. It keeps moisture locked in and retains your hair’s required moisture content.
What’s more, hair grease prevents unwanted moisture from making its way into your hair. This is one of its greatest strengths since no one loves the effects of dry hair.
How To Use Hair Grease The Right Way
If you want to add hair grease to your hair care routine, here are a few simple steps to use it the right way:
- Use shampoo and hair conditioners on your hair. Wash your hair under running water as you would do on a typical day, and be thorough. This step is vital as it helps get rid of old dirt from your hair. Rinse with plenty of clean water.
- Dry up your hair using a cotton towel to absorb all the moisture. Avoid pulling your hair and roughing it up as you dry it. An instance of rough handling includes tightly twisting your hair into a towel to quicken the drying process. This will only cause frizzing as well as breakage of your hair.
- Give your hair some time to dry up till it’s damp. Drying it excessively causes breakage. Hair grease works best on hair with some element of dampness rather than dry hair.
- Apply a moisturizer of your choice. Hair grease works hand in hand with other moisturizing products to keep your hair from frizzing out. Let the conditioner/moisturizer stay since it prevents moisture from escaping. A water-based moisturizer is sure to give you the desired results.
- Part your hair into various sections. Scoop hair grease with your fingers and apply onto each section of your hair separately. Avoid applying hair grease on your scalp as it will only leave it clogged.
- Style it up as desired.
Whatever you do, avoid using hair grease on your hair too frequently. Come up with a greasing routine that works for your hair. For instance, a weekly routine gives your hair ample time to breathe and get ready for the next hair greasing session.
Pros of Hair Grease
Hair grease does have its fair share of benefits that you may want to tap into. They include;
- Great for porous hair. Highly porous hair is difficult to maintain when you have no prior knowledge of quality hair grease products.
- Hair grease acts as a sealant, which helps keep moisture locked in. It protects your hair from dryness and frizzes, thus promoting hair growth.
- Gives your natural hair a shinier look. Using hair grease on the strands of your hair guards them against breakage and strengthens them. It also keeps split ends at bay.
- Helps attain sleek edges on your hair. Hair grease comes in handy when you have the latest hairstyle in mind and want to bring it to life.
- It’s easy on your wallet. Buying hair grease at an affordable price means you can use it longer. Your hair greasing routine doesn’t mean you use it daily. Using it once a week saves you time and money as well. This will be a double gain for you since you save money and look lovely at the same time.
Cons of Hair Grease
While hair grease can be a great styling product, there are some downsides to consider when you using it;
- Gathers dirt, dust, and other pollutants easily when exposed to air that’s full of impurities.
- Using excessive hair grease leads to an unsightly, greasy look on your hair.
- Heavy hair grease products weigh the hair down. This sometimes leads to breakage when lighter hair types are involved.
- Limits ventilation on your hair. Failure to follow the rules of hair greasing routines clogs up your hair. Hair grease is mostly made up of petroleum, which seals the pores on your scalp. It gets even worse when a buildup of hair grease happens.
Does Hair Grease Help In Hair Growth?
This is a tricky question that has been on most ladies’ minds for the longest time. The truth is that hair grease is not a catalyst for hair growth. The fact that one of its main ingredients is petroleum disqualifies it from this proposition.
Your hair follicles need to be nurtured using all-natural hair growing products to enhance growth. Unfortunately, hair grease is not one of them. All it does is to help maintain your natural hair’s length and minimize breakage.
It also prevents the loss of moisture as well as the entrance of the same into your hair. Growth can only be attributed to other natural hair care products.
A lot has been said about hair grease and its effects on different types of hair. There’s only one way to find out what you should expect; try it out for yourself!
However, be sure first to consult your hairdresser if you’re looking to try it out for the first time. Please carry out your research in the meantime and see whether it works for your hair type.
Another pitfall to avoid is buying substandard hair grease products. Check out the reviews online to see how legit they are. The internet makes it easier to do this since there are plenty of sources to acquire credible information.