When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not all heat protectants are created equal. If you want to prevent hair damage caused by heat styling, the best thing you can do is choose the best silicone-free heat protectants.
Silicones are known for their ability to tame frizz and keep your hair shiny. However, most of the protectants in the market use non-soluble silicones, which won’t be easily removed by water.
This can be an issue because moisture won’t get into your hair shaft as long as these silicones are present. This will lead to silicone buildup, which will clog the pores, weighing your hair down and causing it to be greasy. The only way to wash it off is to use shampoos containing sulfates that are drying to the scalp and hair.
Considering all these, a silicone-free heat protectant is recommended for you if you have sulfates (since the silicones will make it look limper) and oily hair (because silicones will make it look greasier). The use of heat protectants with silicones won’t also be necessary if you’re not dealing with frizzy hair. With that said, check out some of the best silicone-free heat protectants to buy in 2024.
Choosing The Best Silicone-Free Heat Protectant
Briogeo Farewell Frizz Leave-In Conditioning Spray – Best All-Natural Silicone-free Heat Protectant
If you want to protect your hair from both heat and chemical damage, the Briogeo Farewell Frizz Leave-In Conditioning Spray might be the protectant for you.
This product is made only with the good stuff—nourishing, strengthening, detangling, and smoothening essential oils, including argan oil, rosehip oil, and coconut oil. These work together to protect your hair from heat and, at the same time, keep hair frizz at bay.
- Since it comes in a spray form, this is easy to apply.
- This is suitable for all hair types—colored, keratin-treated, dry, damaged, frizzy, wavy, natural, straight, and many more!
- All ingredients are cruelty-free and naturally sourced.
- It contains no SLS, SLES, DEA, artificial dyes, and phthalates.
- The formulation is also vegan and gluten-free.
- Rosehip oil may cause allergic reactions.
- It may not be that effective in getting rid of frizz.
Shea Moisture Sugarcane Extract and Meadowfoam Seed Miracle Styler – Best All-around Heat Protectant
When it comes to choosing a hair product, the more functions it has, the better it is! Well, the Shea Moisture Sugarcane Extract and Meadowfoam Seed Miracle Styler deliver up to 6 functions!
According to the company, this product is formulated not just to prevent thermal damage but also to detangle, nourish dry hair, reduce drying time, shine and smoothen the hair.
- All ingredients are organic and Fair Trade.
- The product is useful for all hair types.
- It uses essential oils as fragrance.
- This can be used by men, women, and even children.
- It comes in a spray bottle that’s easy to use.
- The product packaging is prone to breaking.
- The spray form may not be suitable for people with thick hair.
Hair Food Coconut & Argan Oil Heat Protectant Spray – Best Smelling Heat Protectant Spray
If there’s one thing that this heat protectant is known for, it would be its fantastic smell. The spray has a tropical coconut smell that will make you feel as if you’re on the beach!
But there’s more to it than just its fantastic smell. It has been noted that this spray can deliver protection from heat damage for temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This can be used on wavy, curly, straight, thick, or thin hair.
- It’s infused with argan oil, which nourishes the hair.
- The product also contains coconut oil, which is known for its excellent detangling capabilities.
- This is free of parabens, sulfates, dyes, and mineral oil.
- It contains alcohol, which may cause hair dryness.
- Even though this has no silicones, it still leaves hair greasy.
Living proof Perfect Hair Day Heat Styling Spray – Best for Fine Hair
If you have fine hair, the best product that you should use is one that’s lightweight. Well, the Living proof Perfect Hair Day Heat Styling Spray may just be what you need. It’s so lightweight that some users even refer to it as featherweight!
It’s recommended for fine hair because it contains carob seed extract, beetroot extract, and hydrogenated castor oil, which are known to strengthen hair strands.
- This heat protectant spray offers touchable, soft smoothness for up to 48 hours.
- The formula is adaptable for use on both damp and dry hair, making it a convenient choice before engaging in activities like blow-drying, flat-ironing, or curling, ensuring styling flexibility.
- The spray protects the hair from heat damage and UV rays.
- It doesn’t contain silicon, phthalates and parabens.
- This is recommended for both chemically treated and colored hair.
- The formulation is also cruelty-free.
- It has a strong chemical smell.
- The spray is a bit expensive.
Aveda Brilliant Damage Control Unisex Spray – Best for Tangled Hair
If you’re dealing with damaged and tangled hair, the Aveda Brilliant Damage Control Unisex Spray might be the savior that you’re looking for! This spray is infused with Aloe Vera oil, which smoothens the hair and detangling it in the process.
- Since this is an Aveda product, you’re assured that all ingredients used are of high quality.
- The Aloe Vera content delivers exceptional moisture to the hair.
- This can be used on all hair types.
- It also helps protect against UV damage.
- The smell isn’t that great.
- It may be a bit heavy for fine hair.
Yes, our hair needs all the protection it can have, especially if you love styling it. However, you shouldn’t go with just about any heat protectants that you can get your hands on. You should always choose a hair product according to your hair type and needs.
Our pick from the best silicone-free heat protectants from this list is no other than Briogeo Farewell Frizz Leave-In Conditioning because it contains 100% natural essential oils that work together to protect, strengthen, and nourish the hair.