The popularity of spikes can’t be underestimated. Most of the popular hairstyles for men you see today involve spikes. Going to the salon to get your hair spiked up is a not a cost-effective solution. You can easily do it on your own. In fact, the process is easier than simple. All you need is some hair cosmetics, a little imagination, and an easy-to-ready tutorial.
Spiky Hairstyle for Guys with Thick Hair
If you have thick but not curly hair, you can get spikes without any effort. All you’ll need to do is cut it the right way. The next time you visit your hairstylist, ask him or her to cut the hair on top about 2 inches long. Your thick locks will stand up on their own.
DIY Spiky Hairstyle for Short Hair
If your hair is not too long and not too thick, you’ll need help from some heavy-duty hair cosmetics. You can either buy a special spiking gel or get a regular heavy-duty hair gel.
- Wash your hair as you usually do and towel dry it ( don’t use a hair drier).
- When toweling your hair direct your locks upwards. Wet hair is often very manageable so set the direction.
- Put the hair gel on your palms and rub them to distribute the hair product all over.
- Run your palms along the scalp while using your fingers to lift the hair upward.
- Make sure to repeat the process until you grease up all of the sections you want to spike up.
- Use your hands to shape the spikes the way you want them to look.
- Blow-dry the hair to make the hair gel effect last longer.
How to Spike Your Hair Without Hair Gel
Using hair gel on a regular basis is not good for your hair. It can lead to such unfortunate circumstances as dandruff and hair loss. Here are a few ways you can spike your hair without using hair gel.
- Water-based Sculpting Paste – This paste is one of the most non-toxic hair care products you can use for making spikes. It’s not greasy and can hold your hair spiky for hours
- Pomade – Men have used Pomade for centuries. While it’s very greasy, it’s not as toxic as hair gel. You need much less pomade to get the same effect. The main advantage of pomade is that you can apply it to dry hair. Which means you can’t use it at any time of the day without looking for an opportunity to wash your locks.
- Mousse – This is another more or less non-toxic option. Mousse allows you to get nice-looking spikes without rubbing it into your hair. All you have to do is apply it to your palms and gently run them through your locks.
A Brilliant Spiky Haircut With High Fade (You’ll need a barber to do it!)
- When spiking your hair up with hair products, try to avoid touching the scalp. Rubbing the hair gel into your skin causes hair loss and dandruff.
- When spiking up your hair with your hands, keep strands separated as much as possible to get neat spikes.
- Create thick spikes by twisting strands of your hair from the base to the top while applying the haircare products.
Spikes take just a few minutes to create and can last all day. If you haven’t tried spiky hairstyles yet, you’ve been missing out on a lot of fun. Buy some hair gel and try one today!