Rice water has been used as a natural hair care product for hundreds of years. It’s very popular among Japanese women too and we all know how their hair shines. Rice water for hair care helps to improve the scalp’s health, stimulate hair growth, and strengthen the hair.
Benefits of Rice Water for Hair
Rice water is beneficial to both hair and skin. The liquid that starts to emerge when the cereal is soaked can have many benefits for hair. Rice water has vitamins and minerals. Learn what they can do to help your hair grow healthy. Here are some key benefits of rice water for hair:
- The so-called ‘rice milk’ is deemed a great epidermis’ ally, due to the presence of an element known as para-aminobenzoic acid, which is found in many products that protect us from the sun rays.
- Yet another role of rice water is that it protects us from premature aging. It is said that this liquid promotes cell growth and slows tissue degradation, besides helping the blood flow.
- The expected results are a brighter and firmer face, due to the renewal of the skin’s brightness, tonicity, and elasticity.
- Not to mention that taking care of your skin this way is quite inexpensive, isn’t that so?
- It collaborates with our digestion – the ‘rice milk’ is interesting as a facilitator of the intestinal function, helping the maintenance of its flora, while reducing the discomfort and swelling.
- The liquid provides energy and nutrients that may be beneficial to the whole family, as a way to complement the diet.
- Another function of rice water would be to lighten skin spots. Skin spots can occur for several reasons, among them acne and frequent waxing. For those cases, a homemade recipe can be helpful to solve the issue, because it is a source of kojic acid, a whitening substance found in many creams, which derives from rice.
How to Prepare and Use Rice Water for Hair Treatment
Keeping an eye on the homemade versions of rice water treatments, the cosmetics industry will increasingly produce similar products. With a detail: the industrialized formulas also promise to give shine and shape the hair, in addition, to have essential oils, among them rosemary, lavender, and argan.
In turn, homemade recipes to prepare rice water for hair are practical and economical. Check out one of those:
- 1 cup of rice water (previously rinsed to remove impurities)
- Filtered water
- Place 1 cup of rice in a pot.
- Cover the food with water, not more than two fingers above the grains.
- Cook it over low heat.
- Stir until the water gets whitish.
- Strain it (if you want to reuse the rice in any recipe), and that’s it!
- After washing your hair with your favorite shampoo, apply the rice water, massaging the scalp.
- Apply the water from the ends to the scalp.
- Allow the product to act from 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it.
There is a version in which you must leave the rice in water from 30 minutes to 1 hour. And, then, you just have to strain it and use the liquid, without having to heat the grains.
Now, if you don’t want to go to the kitchen, regardless of the reason, just buy rice water from one of several brands available in the market.
Some More Tips for Using Rice Water
- One suggestion is to place the rice water in the fridge since cold temperatures make the application more refreshing. An extra benefit of keeping the liquid-cooled is that it helps to preserve its nutrients for a longer time, allowing you to use the preparation for up to 2 days.
- To get the benefits of ‘rice water’, the tip is to use it every day, morning and evening, with cotton. But remember to thoroughly wash your face beforehand, in order to remove impurities.
- Keep this in mind: never use water from rice that was cooked with salt, oil or any other ingredient.
Other Foods That Help in Hair Growth
The contents of this post are natural benefits of rice water for hair and completely for educational purposes. Only a doctor can decide what’s best for each individual and prescribe treatments according to the specific situation. Always check with your dermatologist.