Pomade may sound like the type of hair product that your grandfather would have used, but the pomades that are made today are much different than the ones John Travolta sported in the 1970s.
Many of them are water-soluble rather than the traditional oil-based variety, and pomades are now less greasy while still giving you options when it comes to how much shine you desire.
You’ll be able to achieve a variety of looks with the addition of just a little bit of the right pomade to your hair. However, if you’re just starting off, it’s reasonable that you may not even know how to use pomade. Fortunately, this is a very easy product to use.
Read on to learn how to use pomade and discover the different hairstyles that it can help you achieve.
How to Use Pomade
Using pomade is incredibly simple and makes styling completely up to you. Here are some general instructions on how to use pomade:
- Start with either wet or dry hair. For the best results, you’ll want your hair just a little damp before applying the pomade, but this may vary based on what type of style you are trying to achieve.
As a general rule of thumb, if you want more shine and less hold, apply pomade to wet hair. If you want less shine and more hold, apply it to dry hair. If your hair is washed and you use a conditioner, make sure to apply that to your hair first.
- Take a dime-sized amount of the pomade and warm it up by rubbing your palms together. If you have longer or thicker hair, you may end up needing more, but it’s best to start with a smaller amount and gradually work your way up.
- Work the pomade through your hair, being sure to distribute it evenly and gently massage it from the roots to tips. Style as desired.
Hairstyles to Try with Pomade
If you’re looking for a hair product that will provide you with versatility, pomade may be your best option. There are a number of men’s hairstyle possibilities with pomade, often not needing more than a dime-sized amount of the product.
Discover how to use pomade to achieve the following three looks:
Messy Hair Look
This messy look is a popular hairstyle for a casual look or a night out. The best part about this look is how easy and versatile it is; you can make it work no matter what texture or length your hair is.
To achieve this look, you can use either an oil-based or water-soluble pomade, as long as it has a matte finish and provides medium hold.
You can either start with damp or dry hair and work a dime-sized amount into your scalp to add volume. Then add some more pomade to the ends to add texture and complete the look.
Use Layrite Natural Matte Cream, a lightweight water-soluble matte pomade that provides medium hold with a matte finish. This pomade is especially effective for fine hair, adding texture and volume to help you achieve this messy look.
- Flexible, medium hold keeps your style in place all day while leaving your hair feeling soft and natural
- Lightweight formula won't weigh hair down
- Adds shape, definition and never flakes
- Not ideal for men’s thick hair
The pompadour is a timeless, slicked-back look that has evolved through the years. It’s all about volume, but your hair does not need to be sky high to achieve this look. You can personalize it in a number of ways to make it look sleek, edgy, casual, or sophisticated.
You’ll want to start with dry hair to give your pompadour the best hold. For the best results, after washing your hair, blow-dry it while brushing it with a round brush.
Once dry, grab a decent amount of pomade, warm it up in your hands, then use your fingers to work it through your hair, starting with the sides then the top. Pay special attention to the top, as that is where you will achieve the most volume.
Once you work the product in, use a comb to evenly distribute it to the roots and get a better hold. Then, comb the front of your hair up and fold it over the hand that isn’t holding the comb, adjusting it to the height that you want your pompadour to be. Comb your hair up once more, then pat it down.
To achieve this look, use Rocky Mountain Barber Company Pomade for Men. This water-soluble pomade provides a firm hold to help ensure that your pompadour remains in place while providing maximum shine.
- Firm Hold – Perfect for slick back, side-part, pompadour, or any modern look where a strong hold is needed
- Water Based – Our water based pomade makes it easy to wash out at the end of the day.
- 5oz Tin – Our pomade comes in a convenient 5oz tin so you don’t need to order as frequently.
- Tin is larger than most brands (5oz)
- High shine but easy to wash out
- Light, non-overpowering scent
- Applying too much to dry hair may cause white residue
Side Comb Over
Also known as the quiff hairstyle, a side comb-over is a timeless, stylish, and classy option. It isn’t fully a side part, but it has the hair smoothly swept to one side. This style takes just a few minutes to complete using a good-quality pomade.
To achieve this look, start with slightly damp hair and work about a dime-sized amount of the product through. Then, comb your hair toward one side, away from your part. If you want a little bit of volume, comb your hair upward as you swoop it to the side.
Suavecito Pomade Original Hold is a high-quality pomade that will help you achieve this look. It’s water-soluble with a moderate shine and will provide your hair with a medium hold. If you need a touchup in the middle of the day, all you need to do is add a little bit of water to your hair and style.
- ORIGINAL HOLD. MEDIUM STRENGTH. Suavecito Original Hold Pomade dries with a medium hardness without a crunchy finish. Get...
- WATER SOLUBLE. Suavecito Original Hold Pomade is the ultimate high quality, medium hold, and water soluble hair care product....
- COMBS EASILY WITH NO WHITE RESIDUE. This lightly scented pomade combs in effortlessly and easily. With a clean, fresh smell...
- Combs easily
- Reactivates with water
- Some describe the scent as too strong
Hair pomade will help your hair to always look its best. After learning how to use pomade for the various hairstyles it can help you achieve, consider incorporating it into your styling routine to always have heads turning.