Today we will be learning how to cut split ends, which is a skill every woman should have. We put our hair through so much, and there are many causes for split ends, including heat, chemicals such as dyes and treatments, and over-washing, among others. That’s why it’s important that you learn how to cut split ends, but also how to get rid of split ends without cutting hair, which is also possible!
How to Cut Your Own Split Ends at Home
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the different ways of trimming split ends and getting rid of them without compromising the length of your hair and without having to visit the salon so often.
Method 1: Dusting
Dusting consists in trimming the very ends of your hair. This way you’ll get rid of split ends and you won’t compromise the length of your hair. Plus, dusting is so straightforward that you can do it yourself at home.
All you need to attempt dusting is a pair of sharp scissors, a mirror, and steady hands. If you want, you can blow out your hair first, which will allow you to define the cuts even better, but that’s completely up to you.
Here’s what you should do:
- Split your hair into four quarter sections and then dust one section at a time.
- To dust, grab each section between your index and middle fingers and then reach the very end of the hair.
- Hold your hair up so you can see any split ends and then trim them away carefully.
- Repeat this process with each section of hair.
Method 2: Hair Twisting
This method is exactly what it sounds like! It consists in twisting your hair so you can cut the split ends in a single stroke. This is a great way to trim split ends and it’s super easy.
Just grab your scissors and follow these easy steps:
- Dry or blow out hair well if you need.
- Section your hair one inch at a time and twist it clockwise and tightly, from the roots to the tips.
- Hold the section you already twisted at the ends.
- Now you’ll be able to see the split ends clearly.
- Star from the top and work your way down as you trim off the split ends.
- Now, grab the same section of hair a twist it counterclockwise and repeat the trimming process.
- Do this in every section of your hair and you’ll be free of split ends!
Method 3: Hair Sliding
This method is a bit unconventional, but it’s also a great way for you to get rid of split ends at home.
Before you get started, you will need to straighten your hair. Protect your hair with a heat protectant before you straighten it out with a straightening iron and get rid of knots and tangles with a wide-toothed comb.
Once your hair is straightened, you can move on to trying this method to cut split ends!
Here’s what you should do:
- Grab a hair section of up to an inch.
- Grab the hair section between your index and your middle finger.
- Once you do that, slide your fingers to the very ends of your hair.
- This way you’ll see the split ends clearly, so you can snip them off with the scissors.
- Continue sliding and trimming until you’ve gone through your whole hair and you’ll be free of split ends!
Method 4: Trimming
Trimming your split ends is the most common method to help you say goodbye to them and it’s super simple.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Wet your hair or dampen it.
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb to make sure it’s smooth.
- Pick a section of your hair of up to an inch and hold up the rest so it doesn’t bother you.
- Grab the hair section between your index and middle finger and slide your fingers downward until you reach the ends.
- Hold your ends in front of you so you can see the split ends.
- Grab the scissors in a perpendicular position and trim off one to two inches of your hair, depending on the damage.
It’s that simple!
Watch The Following DIY Tutorial of How to Cut Split Ends by Yourself
How to Get Rid of Split Ends Naturally – 3 Different Remedies
If you want to get rid of split ends without cutting your hair, there are other things you can do. Here are three different natural remedies you can try!
Papaya and Plain Yogurt
To prepare this remedy, take one papaya, skin it and remove the seeds. Mash it all up and mix it with half a cup of plain yogurt. Whip everything together nicely until you get a smooth paste. Apply this to your hair, cover it with a cap and leave it on for 45 minutes.
Then, rinse it and wash your hair like you usually do. Papaya and yogurt are rich in amino acids and proteins, which will help you strengthen your hair and lessen the hair-splitting at ends!
Avocado, Egg Whites and Olive Oil
For this remedy, you’ll need one mashed avocado, two tablespoons of egg whites and three tablespoons of olive oil. Mix everything together and whip it well until you get a creamy consistency.
Apply this to your hair, cover it with a cap, leave it on for an hour, and then rinse it off and wash your hair as usual. Avocados are rich in vitamins and nutrients, and they will help your hair recover, while olive oil is moisturizing and egg whites will provide protein.
Just pour the flat beer into a clean spray bottle and dampen your hair with it. Leave it on for at least an hour, then rinse it off and wash your hair as usual. Beer is full of protein and sugars that will help your hair be stronger and repair your damaged follicles which will help you to get rid of your split ends naturally.