Many black men struggle with keeping their hair looking curly and neat. Most of them lose the battle and settle for short haircuts, such as high taper fades or military style. If a black guy keeps his hair longer than about one inch, it looks perfect when it’s wet, but as soon as it dries, completely loses its shape. You get unruly and messy hair that’s hard to brush, style, and enjoy. What can be done to keep the hair looking beautiful without cutting it too short? We will teach you how to get curly hair for black men today. Don’t forget to check curly hairstyle ideas for black men here.
Experiment #1 – High-Maintenance
This approach is rather high-maintenance and might take some time at first. Don’t worry, you will soon learn how to do this fast.
What to Buy:
- A high-quality moisturizing shampoo
- Detangling conditioner
- Leave-in conditioner
- Spray bottle
- Hair gel
- Wide tooth comb
- Hooded hairdryer
What to Do:
- Wash your hair as you usually do with a moisturizing shampoo and the detangling conditioner.
- Slightly dry the hair with a towel by dabbing.
- Comb the locks with a wide tooth comb.
- Separate your hair into one-inch sections and apply gel to each one.
- Use a wide tooth comb to comb each section from the roots to the ends. Start in the back of your head.
- While combing, make sure to pull the hair up to ensure longer and neater curls.
- If the hair gets dryer during the process, spritz it with some water.
- The best way to keep the beautiful curls intact is to use a hooded hair dryer. However, if you don’t have one, you can dry your locks with a hand-held one. Just be careful about using the high settings. Stretch each curl carefully while drying it from the root to the end.
Experiment # 2 – The Straw Approach
The straw method is a popular way of getting the frizzy hair under control. It can work with both short and long hair. Men who struggle with unruly and frizzy locks can appreciate this option.
What to Buy:
- Moisturizing shampoo
- Detangling conditioner
- Plastic drinking straws (1 pack)
- Bobby pins
- Alcohol-free setting lotion
- Hair oil
- Hooded hair dryer
What to Do:
- Wash your hair, as usual, using a moisturizing shampoo and detangling conditioner.
- Dab your locks with a towel but make sure they are not too dry. You’ll need the hair to be slightly wet for the method to work.
- Separate your hair into have-inch sections. If you have really thick locks, consider quarter-inch sections.
- Place a straw at the end of each section and roll the hair up to your head. Secure it with a bobby pin.
- Repeat for the rest of the sections.
- Dry your hair under a hooded hair dryer or let them dry naturally.
- Remove the straws one by one and carefully separate the curls.
- Spray the hair with oil.
See The Below Tutorial on How to Get Straw Hair Fast
Hairstyle Ideas for Black Men With Curly Hair
If you’re thinking of getting a new look, here are 10 of the best curly hairstyles for black men!
1. Curly Taper Fade
Another common choice among black men is keeping their hair short to look neat, so this taper fade allows you to add that extra touch that will make you look sharper. A little detail goes a long way!
2. Natural Fade with Line Up
The line up is not the most versatile hairstyle for black guys with curls out there because it doesn’t necessarily suit everyone, but it’s a great choice if you’re looking for something different. Once again, details make a difference and these structured haircuts are made to flatter your features while still keeping it simple.
3. Tapered and Dyed
This curly black men’s hairstyles, as you can see in the picture, consists in fade and that long top that will allow you to show off your curls or afro. Dyeing that long top will direct all the eyes to where you want them to be and you can play around with colors, from platinum blonde to fantasy colors and anything in between.
4. Short Afro with Temple Fade
If you love your afro, you can still stand out by adding a fade to your temples. Not to mention that the fade will always frame your face and allow you to have that clean, elegant look that your full afro doesn’t exactly provide. This a classic styles for black men with curly hair.
5. Dreadlocks with Temple Fade
Dreadlocks can look amazing if you do it right, and this is a perfect example of what I mean. If you want something different, going with dreads instead of the afro can be a good choice, and if you add the temple fade, you will frame the dreads and make everything look nice and neat.
6. Sponge Twists and High Fade
Sponge twists are yet another way to do something different with curly black men’s hairstyles and they look amazing. They look modern and they’re detailed, and you can always accentuate and frame your features with a little bit of fade while keeping all the texture and the fun on top.
7. Curly Faux-hawk
Faux-hawks are very common choices because they look great on black guys with curly hair. The length of the faux-hawk can be up to you, and this hairstyle will be flattering for both black teens and adults who enjoy the natural texture of their hair.
The faded temples you see in the picture are what shape the faux-hawk, so I definitely recommend it.
8. Long Curly Hair
If you’ve never allowed your curly hair to grow out, then this might be a great opportunity to do so. It’s definitely a great curly black men’s hairstyle and it’s a good way to get familiar with your hair because it will demand a lot of attention; from buying the right products to styling, but that’s all part of the fun of letting your curls be what they are.
9. Curly Twists with Fade
Curly twists are yet another way to get an exciting new hairstyle for black men with curls and they look great. Couple the curly twists with some fade, and you’ll have that nice hairstyle change you’re looking for. This is a fun option and it’s definitely a way to stand out and do something different with your hair.
10. Rounded Top with Fade
This hairstyle is both classy and fashionable, which makes it a very good choice indeed. The rounded top, which can be as tall or low as you like, along with a nice temple fade and maybe a lineup design of your choice can make an incredible hairstyle for black guys with curly hair that will catch people’s eyes for all the right reasons.
Some Amazing Curly Haircuts to Try for
Curly Hair Maintenance
But first thing’s first; let’s take a look at what you should do to maintain those curls and keep your hair healthy and strong. As you may have noticed by now, there are different kinds of curls, so you really have to find the products that suit your hair the best. But if you want to make your hair stand out, you need to get curl-defining shampoo along with a leave-in conditioner.
It will also benefit you to learn some tips about curl care, such as: untangle your hair while it’s still damp, not after, and always make sure you moisturize your hair, so invest on good products that allow you to keep your curls hydrated.
Don’t be afraid of experimenting with your hair. If you follow the directions, you’ll soon get a mane you are really proud of. Good luck! Any of these awesome curly hairstyle options for black men can help you bring your style to the next level, provided that you make the right choice for you, so don’t be afraid to try something new with your curly hair!