In terms of hair care, people turn to products over selecting a proper brush. Yet a proper brush is as essential to maintaining healthy hair as a product. Boar bristle brushes are porous. This makes them the ultimate tool for maintaining shining tresses.
Here are the best eight boar bristle brushes to shine up your locks!
1. Best Boar Bristle Brush Overall: Raincry Condition Bristle Paddle
- RAINCRY's Condition Bristle Paddle Brush On the Go Set
Raincry tops every single list because it contains all the best features. It is a pure boar bristle brush containing root bristles. The root bristles help close the hair cuticle creating a healthy shine. Raincry is known to use the best materials, is ethical, and environmentally responsible.
This brush combs through tangles with ease and is a favorite among users. The only drawback may be that it is a little pricey. However, those who have used it say that it is well worth it.
2. Best For All Hair Types: Cortex International Professional
- ROUND HAIR BRUSH: Offers ideal blowout for instant lift, bounce, and volume to all hair lengths and styles such as waves and...
- ALL HAIR TYPES: Perfect for straight and curly, thick and fine hair; good for natural, treated, and thicker hair; safe for...
- HAIR HEALTH: The stimulation from brushing and massaging your scalp helps distribute natural sebum through hair; keeps hair...
Cortex International comes in at a close second with boar bristle brushes. Raincry offers a flat brush, whereas Cortex International is rounded.
Since the brush is rounded, it gives hair great volume. It is another pure boar brush, so it contains all of the features Raincry has. It comes in a multitude of sizes as well.
The two to three-inch brush circumference makes it great for medium hair. The bristles are also spaced closer together, so they will grab hair better.
They do offer a one-inch brush that is ideal for short-medium hair such as a bob/pixie. However, for really short styles, a one-inch barrel is better. With the wooden handle, this brush is designed to last.
3. Best For Coarse Hair: Diane’s 100% Boar 2-Sided Club Brush
- 2-BRUSHES-IN-1: The Diane Premium Boar 2-Sided Club Brush is specially made with 100% medium boar bristles on one side and...
- VERSATILE STYLING: This boar bristle brush is excellent for smoothing, forming and maintaining wave styles and everyday...
- SOFT ON SCALP: Our pure boar bristles are gentle on sensitive scalps, helping to seal in split ends, prevent hair breakage,...
Diane created a unique dual-sided boar wooden brush with a specific purpose in mind. One side contains 100% medium boar bristles. The opposing side has firm nylon reinforced boar bristles. Both sides have distinctive purposes.
This is one of the few brushes that are ideal for very coarse hair. The firm side handles very coarse hair while the medium side handles medium coarse hair. Yet, it is gentle to use on sensitive scalps.
Customers report with boar brushes that they often lose bristles. Diane has eliminated this issue by using implantation technology. It is a wonderful brush that takes into consideration a specific niche.
We should also mention that Diane’s 100% Boar Soft Wave brush is equally good for fine, wavy, or curly hair. The bristles are gentle on sensitive scalps. It is great on damaged hair and contains 7 rows of soft bristles.
4. Best Boar Bristle/Nylon Combination – SRI Boar and Nylon Brush
- STYLE SAVVY – The SRI polish brush is the perfect brush! With two sizes to choose from, you can keep one in your bathroom,...
- TOP QUALITY BRISTLES – The unique combination of boar and nylon bristles make this round brush the best of the best. Boar...
- ERGONOMIC, NON-SLIP HANDLE- Never get wrist pain again with SRI’s ergonomic, lightweight brushes. Even the large round...
SRI Boar and Nylon Brush create a special duality. The boar bristles increase shine and promote growth. The nylon creates a smoother appearance. It reduces frizz, tames static, and calms fly-away hair.
The handle has a comfortable grip and is extremely lightweight.
This brush is great at creating smoother, healthier-looking hair with shine. It is ideal for medium-length hair due to the bristle length and the style.
5. Best Hairbrush For Short Hair: Aimike Round Brush
- 【Nano Thermal Ceramic Ionic Technology】-- Our round brush will add endless shine and blaze on your hair every time you...
- 【Natural Boar Bristles】-- Human scalp naturally produces oil called sebum which acts as a protector for hair. The boar...
- 【1.3 Inch Round Barrel】 -- The Vented Ceramic Barrel allows up to 50% more airflow from a blow dryer and evenly...
Aimike Round Brush is ideal for short hair. Its 1.3-inch round vented barrel allows hair to blow dry quickly. It is a two-part bristle construction combining boar hair with nano thermal ceramic bristles.
The pros are that the nano thermic construction seals hair cuticles. Hair becomes softer, shinier, and more manageable. The boar bristles help in maintaining healthy hair. This, too, enhances shine and moisturizes the hair.
The cons are that bristles are closer together making it ideal for shorter hairstyles. While it creates great volume in short styles, it will tangle shoulder-length hair.
6. Best Innovative Design: Orly’s Dream Curved Vented Brush
- - Massage the scalp: The part of the bristle is manually trimmed by the workers, so that the hair can be combed to different...
- - Health care and hair growth: apply a little force when combing with a boar bristles hair brush to make the boar bristles...
- - Anti-static: natural bristle comb can reduce the friction between comb teeth and hair, effectively anti-static! - High...
Orly’s Dream has created a unique brush. The design of the bristles is trimmed by workers so that hair can be combed at different depths.
The design allows for a thousand-point massage increasing circulation exponentially. Since it can penetrate the hair shaft better, it removes dandruff, dust, and grease from the hair. It is ideal for long hair, as it has the least pull-on hair, and painlessly combs out knots.
While it says it is for all hair, it works best on longer, thicker manes. The wider brush paddle may lessen contact with short hair.
7. Best For Fine or Thin Hair: Chibello Boar Bristle Hairbrush Set
- Revive natural shine and restore texture - Our hairbrush carries the hair’s natural oils and coats each strand with sebum...
- Improve hair growth - Using the brush daily will stimulate the scalp and increases the blood flow, which will improve hair...
- Eliminate tangles and reduce frizz - Our wooden detangling comb has a dual role. It helps to detangle hair without pulling or...
Chibello’s short-haired brush set comes coated with sebum aiding in overall hair health. It is made with real boar hair, bamboo, and natural rubber making it environmentally friendly. The brush also touts protective antioxidant properties.
The combination of bamboo/boar is superior to plastic brushes. It creates a zero to negative charge thereby reducing static in dry, winter months.
Most of the complaints are about using long hair. It is not meant for long hair! The bristles are not long enough, nor spaced far apart enough. This works best on short to medium hair due to bristle length. It will penetrate the shaft better.
8. Best Men’s Brush: ZilberHaar Beard Brush Pro
- Beard brushes excellence: The popular Regular beard brush combined with the expert's Long brush.
- 100% Boar bristles: Both brushes are made of pure stiff (first cut) boar bristles and unibody pearwood handles sanded and...
- Shape your beard and care for your skin: A Regular brush for on-the-go brushing and a Long brush for the morning routine.
Brushes aren’t just designed for women… or just for hair (on the head). This compilation would be amiss if we didn’t mention ZiberHaar’s superior boar bristle brush for men’s beards.
Made with 100% pure, first-cut boar bristles, it is a must for keeping any length beard healthy. It comes with a long brush for a morning routine and a regular brush for daily maintenance.
It reduces beard itch by getting rid of dead skin cells. It also detangles beard and reduces ingrown beard hair. The product is well made and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
How to Take Care of A Boar Bristle Brush
Please note that maintenance of a boar bristle hairbrush is equally essential. Since many of these are natural, special consideration needs to be made to keep them in their best shape.
As with most brushes, be sure to regularly remove hair from the bristles. This can be done with fingers, or the end of a soft comb. Be gentle, especially with pure or soft boar bristles. These bristles can easily become dislodged, so you want to take extra care when cleaning.
Next, fill the sink with warm water, Then, place a few drops of shampoo directly into the water. Grip the handle, then swirl it around in the water for a few minutes. If it has a wooden handle or fabric pad, do not soak the brush. It will damage it.
Rinse the brush with lukewarm water to remove the shampoo. This will also loosen any dirt or debris collected in the brush. Use your hand to go through the bristles to make sure nothing is left behind. Shake out excess water, and place face down on a towel to dry.
A boar bristle hairbrush may take longer to dry as it is natural over synthetic. Regular maintenance will keep it in optimal health and increase its life expectancy.
Boar hair bristles offer the best in hair care. They are effective in removing dead skin cells and debris from hair. Also, they circulate sebaceous oils throughout the hair shaft making strands soft and healthier looking.
This brush stimulates the scalp thereby increasing proper circulation. It stimulates oil production and unclogs pores. This makes the boar bristle hairbrush essential if a person has poor circulation due to underlying health conditions, or even in the case of thinning hair.
Boar Bristle Brush Buying Guide
Whether hair is normal, dry, or oily, all types of hair benefit from a boar bristle brush. The brush allows for even the distribution of natural oils (sebum) in the hair. It takes the moisture from the roots and distributes it throughout the hair shaft. The result is less breakage (dry hair) and less oily hair.
This type of brush gently massages the scalp unclogging hair follicles. It increases blood flow and circulation resulting in healthier hair. Improper blood flow can cause hair not to grow. This may be why people experience hair loss and slow growth.
A boar bristle brush cleans hair better than any other type of brush. It removes dead cells, dust, and dirt from the hair. Additionally, sebum collects at the roots and weighs it down. It makes hair look greasy. Boar bristle brushes take this oil away from the roots and condition the rest of the hair.
Sebaceous oil naturally protects the hair from damage by coating the strand. It moisturizes hair by sealing it in. This prevents split ends and frizz due to dryness.
The best part of a boar bristle brush is that it balances out sebaceous oil. It removes oil by evenly distributing it through the hair. This eliminates oiliness.
For dry hair, the massaging action helps stimulate oil production. Brushing it helps moisturize the hair making it shiny.
Look For A Brush With “First Cut” Boar Bristles
While more expensive, first-cut brushes are taken from the root or bulb end of the bristle. This end is thicker and allows for improved penetration into the hair shaft. The bristles are stiffer, but it is gentler on the scalp.
Choose The Correct Bristle Length For Your Hair
Make sure that the length of the bristle is long enough to penetrate the hair. If the bristle isn’t long enough, it will not massage the scalp. The bristles need to reach the scalp to receive the full health benefits from the product.
For example, long, thick hair would need longer bristles to reach the scalp. Too short bristles will not penetrate through the density of the hair. The result is that dirt and dead hair aren’t being effectively removed. Also, oil isn’t being evenly distributed because the bristles aren’t reaching the scalp.
Make sure that the brush has the correct rows. If it doesn’t, it will not penetrate individual hair well.
Choose The Correct Brush According To Hair Type
There is a debate going on about pure versus pure boar hair/nylon combinations. The nylon/boar combination helps preserve the brush.
Fine hair requires a pure boar bristle brush. Oils will notably weigh this type of hair down. This type of brush will increase oil distribution leaving it healthier looking.
Thinning, damaged or chemically treated hair requires an extra-soft bristle to prevent breakage. A soft bristle will stimulate the scalp and increase circulation to the hair follicle increasing hair growth.
A mixed bristle brush benefits medium to thick hair. The mixture of nylon and boar bristles dually benefits the user. Nylon detangles hair, while boar bristles evenly distribute sebum. It also smooths the hair’s cuticle.
Use a brush with wider spacing for thick or coarse hair. Firm bristles will offer more control. It’s easier to use and will cause fewer tangles.
Short hair requires a small, round boar bristle brush. It catches every strand and can generate volume.
Select The Correct Width
Long hair requires a wider width between bristles than short hair to prevent tangles. Bristles that are too close together will become knotted in long hair causing damage.
Conversely, short hair requires bristles to be closer together. Bristles that are too far apart won’t catch each hair properly. It will be ineffective. A round brush is also beneficial to short hair as it creates extra volume and lifts.
All of these points need to be taken into consideration when selecting a brush. Each hair type has different requirements to keep it healthy. Education is important when selecting the right one.
Whatever the need, this type of hairbrush will meet it. All that needs to be considered is what type is best for your hair. Properly maintained, this hairbrush will last for a very long time. As most people say, definitely worth the investment.