Why Feed In Braids?
The feed in braids gets their name from the style itself. Because you are actually feeding in your head with more hair because the hair length you already have ( or don’t have at all) is not enough to complete the whole cornrow braids you want to end up with. Moreover, they make a great hair styling plan for summertime because they can keep your hair away from your sweaty face while maintaining its length. In addition to that, they are low maintenance so you don’t need to worry about styling your hair for another two to three months! And let’s not forget that this design is age free, so it looks good for both kids and adults. Plus, it is a protective hairstyle so it gives you the chance to grow out your hair without having to go through the ugly mid-length phase. You can browse our favorite cornrow braids here.
How To Feed In Braids (For Beginners)
With every new style at hand comes the first time you go through it. And since first timers get lost and confused here is a detailed step by step procedure to guide you throughout the whole braiding process. So, let us start off with the things you need for it.
Tools And Items Required:
- Three to four pegs of Kane-kalon braiding hair extensions.
- Hair wax
- Hair clips.
- Boiled water.
- Elastic Bands
Now that you have everything you need, let us start with the hair styling!
- Wash your hair.
- Brush your hair until it is tangle – free.
- Blow dry your hair for more volume.
- Section your hair into several sections ( in this tutorial we will go with 4 sections but you can go with the number you want) using the edge of a hair comb. Tip: Make sure the subsections are divided equally and neatly. Otherwise, the design will look sloppy and unprofessional.
- Flat iron your hair if you have thick and kinky hair.
- Mark the edge of each section with a really thin braid.
- Apply some wax to the roots of the hair if you have got a soft hair to give it more hold, a nice glossy shine, and keep it from flying out.
- Braid just like shown in the youtube tutorial video linked below.
- Make sure you always add more hair to even the thickness as you are braiding.
- Spritz every once in a while or apply some edge wax to blend in the faux hair with the natural hair.
- Avoid using gel because it is too wet and slippery. In addition to that, when gel dries it can be flakey. However, if you want an edgy look with harder edges gel will be exactly what you need.
- Make sure to trim out your nails before starting the braiding process because it can be impossible to go through that kind of braids with tall nails.
- The key to perfection in this hairstyle is to wrap the hair as tight as you can. That way, it will last a longer life span.
- Go over the braids with a flat iron in order to get the tiny flyouts out of the way.
- Even out the tips of the braids with a brush.
- Dip the tips in boiled water.
- Cut them off because you do not need them anymore.
- Secure the ends with elastic bands.
- Adorn your braids with some hair clips or accessories to make it stand out even more.
Watch the below video tutorial
Here is another youtube tutorial video that is proven to be really informative and helpful for beginners who want to become pros at this hairstyle:
Top 10 Feed In Braids To Kick Off Your Summer
What a lot of people do not realize is that feed in braids is just another name for cornrow braids that use up hair extensions for more volume and length. So, for all cornrow braid lovers, you will definitely fall in love with the digital catalog below we arranged just for you.
#1. There’s More To The Story
In addition to the many usages of feed in braids like:
- Add length.
- Add thickness.
- Add volume.
- Add protection to your natural hair locks.
There is more to that list! It extends to reach the point where it can allow you to add color to brighten up your design and give it a sense of flare. But how does it do that you may ask? Simply replace some of the hair extensions you are using with pre-dyed extensions with the color that you desire. However, if you are short on the extra fee, you can always have a little extra fun of your own and dye them at home! So, whether you are rich enough to afford a professional salon stylist or on a home budget basis this design will definitely work both ways. In the end, either way, this will end up with neat natural looking braids.
#2. Noteworthy Yet Effortless
Whoever says that you need to go extravagant and way over the top to end up with a noteworthy hairstyle is wrong. Because as simple as the design in the photo above is, it is picturesque. It has everything you need from the really thin feed in braids ( check the tutorial video linked up for some DIY fun) to a cool everything hairstyle. So, after braiding simply holster up your hair into a classic high ponytail. And Voilà!
#3. The Feed In Mohawk
Brilliance and success can never be measured by quantity. It has to be measured by quality. So instead of wasting your time and energy in God knows how many infinite braids, this single braid will do. Because of its position at the central axis of the head, it gives off the trendy mohawk style.
#4. Varying Sizes
When out of ideas for shining as the star of the event, you can try out this scaling technique. It all relies on varying the sizes of your braids and arranging them in an order you can freestyle or copy online.
Tip: Go with a dramatic arrangement that goes directly from extremely thick to really thin braids. This way guarantees you to make the first impression as a daring and bold lady who is not afraid to try out something new.
#5. In Whatever Direction
On the contrary to other designs, feed in braids are considered flexible and eclectic. Because unlike other hairstyles, they do not possess one silhouette. They can be done across, at the back of your head, from the tips of your forehead, or just in whatever angle and whatever direction you desire. So, it offers us a variety of styles and a whole lot of space to show off our creative skills.
#6. Shorter Feed In Braids
As for girls who want to pull off short braids, you can tether those feed in braids into whatever length you need. So, if you need to get yourself this cute bob hairstyle, simply cut off the extensions in half with scissors before you use them into the length you want. And let us not forget that choosing those bright colors can give you the perfect sun – kissed summer color to go along with your tan skin.
#7. The ” Notice Me Please ” Design
Some of us girls would do just ANYTHING to get noticed. Well, here is a simple way that will guarantee that you can never set foot in a room without being the center of attention. So, all you have to do is go with braids that are bigger than the normal scale. And as long as you do that, you can pick out whatever style you like. For instance, in the example above the girl goes with a half up half down hairstyle that gives her the best of both worlds and never gets old.
#8. Double Trouble
Combining braids of different thicknesses is a step up towards the hall of fame in the hairstyle world. Because it definitely gives you that wow factor and makes you stand out in the crowd. However, this is not every surprising factor this design to offer. Because it goes way beyond just braiding and goes through double the trouble ( totally worth it though!) and twists the ends of the braids to form two cutesy buns.
Tip: This design works best for little girls or as a sporty hairstyle for girls with an older age.
As for the bride who wishes for a hairstyle that is ” out of this world “, here is something that you will definitely fall in love with. So, we present to you the Ombre effect. For those who are not familiar with the general concept of ombre designs: it’s the gradual blending of color from one shade to another. So, as an exotic idea for your feed in wedding braids, you can pick out your favorite color (purple is chosen in the example above) and use the ombre effect as a flashy focal point of your pure white outfit. That way you would be able to add some color to your wedding look without actually breaking the sacred law of the white dress bridal code.
#10. Creative Contrast
While a lot of you may not believe that simple touches can have the biggest effects on a design, the contrast in the example above takes these feed in braids to a whole new level of brilliance. Because the stylist plays the role of an artist by picking out two attractive and contrasting colors like the smokey red and charcoal black to paint the perfect picture that nobody can keep their eyes off!
More Ideas For Feed In Braids In Cornrow Styles
Finally, you can never go wrong with feed in braids. They are one of the most trendy and popular hairstyles for summer 2017. So grab your brushes and elastic bands and start braiding!