Two words that can perfectly describe half bun are: chic and casual. Yes, this is one of those hairstyles that you can wear all day long, every day. It is practical – part of your hair is up, while the rest of your hair is casually down.
We don’t know any women who haven’t tried it yet. However, if you still have some doubts about this lovely hairstyle, don’t worry. We have prepared an amazing gallery for you to get inspired. Plus, there are some tips that are good to know.
How to Do Half Up Bun
And while many celebs and trendspotters are known as experts in making half buns, you can follow our guide, if you still feel insecure. Whether you have long, short, thin or curly hair – we have everything covered.
For Long Hair
- You should separate the top half of your hair from the bottom.
- Secure the half ponytail with small elastic and make sure it is tight.
- The trick is to make your bun looks more voluminous, so what you need to do is to tug your hair from the top with the comb.
- Wrap your hair around the ponytail base and secure it with bobby pins.
- Adjust the shape and the volume of the bun as much as you like.
For Short Hair
- Separate the section of hair from hairline to the crown of your head.
- You should secure the high ponytail with elastic and make it more voluminous if you wish.
- Your half bun will look small, but still, with the short hair that is the best hairstyle you can pull out.
Watch The Following Video to Learn How to Do Half Up Half Down Bun for Long Hair
How to Style Half Bun with Waves and Curls
If your hair is wavy or curly, there are some tricks to make it look even better with half up half down bun. These hairstyles are perfect for summer when your hair is casual or styled with medium beach waves.
- Part your hair at your temples and section your hair.
- Be careful – sectioning your hair from ear to ear will, in the end, leave you with a pretty big amount of hair at the top of your head.
- Wrap your hair around itself and secure it with hair tie over.
- Tuck in the ends and pin them with bobby pins for a nice, polished hairstyle.
- You should start by parting your hair at the temples.
- Then make a ponytail of the hair you have separated.
- Twist it over, until it is turned into a coil.
- Secure the bun with some bobby pins and elastic.
How to Style Half Up Bun with Straight Hair
Long straight hair might be the easiest one for making the half ups and buns.
- To make sure your hair is in style and place, you might need to add some products, such as hair spray.
- Section your hair and make a tuck bun.
- By pulling your hair through elastic tie three times, the ends will be left out.
- You can now wrap the edges around the half bun and hide the elastic.
How to Style Low Half Up Half Down Bun
Low buns are usually considered to be more elegant. You can style them for many different occasions, such as wedding days, birthday parties, engagements, as well as cocktail parties with colleagues and friends.
- You should start by sectioning your hair and slightly pulling it back, to the middle of your head.
- You can both twist the ends, or pull your hair through the elastic to leave the ends out.
How to Style Half Braided Bun
One of the most popular versions of half bun hairstyle is definitely the braided one. Instead of making only a half updo, you get two in one – braids and buns!
- Part and section your hair from ear to ear to secure enough amount of hair for the braid.
- If you want to add some volume to the braid, opt for the fishnet one.
- Braid it until the hair ends.
- Wrap it around until you get desired shape and look.
How to Style Messy Half Bun Half Down
Right after the braided messy buns for long hair are pretty popular among both girls and women. Many superstars and trendspotters were spotted wearing this messy look. It is perfect for both everyday wear, while you are at home or casually go outside for a coffee.
- Part your hair at temples.
- Pull the hair you have parted into a ponytail.
- Secure it with an elastic.
- When pulling through the elastic for the second time, don’t do it completely.
- Make a loop and wrap the hair around it.
- Once you are satisfied, just release the elastic to secure the bun.
Watch The Following Tutorial to Learn How to Do Messy Half Up Bun
Latest Half Up Half Down Bun Hairstyles
We hope these half bun half down hairstyle ideas will provide you with the right amount of inspiration. We have to admit one thing though – we absolutely can’t choose favorites! They are all beautiful and very easy to make.
This classy half bun hairstyle is perfect for all those lazy girls. You can also wear this as your everyday hairstyle. It is utterly chic.
2. Half Up Bun with Flower Braids
If the bun is not enough interesting for you, then you can combine your hairstyle with crown braids as well. This updo is perfect for special occasions, such as weddings and proms.
3. Bun for Wavy Blonde Hair
Making your bun look like a flower is great, but you will probably need some practice. A half bun half down hairstyle like this is great for both everyday and special occasions.
4. Bun Like a Rose
Is there anything more beautiful than the half bun in the form of a rose? We don’t think so either. This copper brown hairstyle is great for all black-tie events.
5. Braided Updo
You can make your front part of the hairstyle even more interesting by braiding two parts of your hair. Leave it straight at the ends and wrap it into a bun.
Even if this look gorgeous and potentially hard hairstyle to pull out it is actually pretty achievable. After you make your half up bun into a fishtail, braid your hair at both sides as well.
7. Bun with a Hair Stick
Instead of a few bobby pins and elastic, let hair stick to hold your bun. That Chinese bun vibe with half down hair will definitely become one of your favorites.
Half up bun will certainly show off the most beautiful parts of your blonde balayage. This technique became shortly popular and without a surprise. It suits all women.
9. Japanese Bun
Two hair sticks holding off your bun remind us of Japan. The Japanese women tend to wear hairstyles like this one all the time. You have to try it.
If you are bored of seeing blonde hairstyles that are pretty simple, then you should dye your hair partially in purple. Purple balayage will make your hairstyle appear even more interesting than before.
11. Easy Twist
For all girls having their proms soon, this can be right half up half down bun hairstyle with any dress you choose. Slightly twisted bun and waves look beautiful for the occasions such as proms.
12. Messy and Easy
Busy women out there, gather around! This is the only hairstyle you should know about. It takes no more than 10 minutes to style it and it is perfect for every day.
13. Half Bun for Straight Ombre Hair
A half bun like this is a great option for workwear. You can leave the rest of your ombre hair straight, or curl it with a curling wand.
14. Double Trouble
Instead of making only one bun, why don’t you try two buns instead? If you style them to look like this, you will get a lot of positive comments, trust us.
15. Beautiful Bun for Platinum Hair
All girls with long blonde hair can make this half bun hairstyle a success. It is messy, can be made very easily. We have to admit it looks pretty wonderful and utterly chic.
16. Bohemian Hair
For all those upcoming summer days, a hairstyle like this is all that you need. Braids, a bun, and long straight hair will make you feel beautiful and give your outfits boho vibes.
17. Twisted Braids
Long waves are perfect for both everyday and elegant occasions. When you add a lovely bun and braids into that equation, you get a gorgeous hairstyle.
If you think a few braids are a lot, then opt for one braid only. It will give your hairstyle a real summer vibe.
This half up bun style is reserved for girls with a more elegant style. You can always decorate them with some gold or silver bobby pin.
20. Styled with Bandana
If you want to upgrade not only your hairstyle but outfit as well, add a bandana instead of elastic or bobby pins. If will look great on your half bun updo.
21. Top Half Bun with Scarf
Even top half bun half down hairstyles can be decorated with a scarf. Use the small one so it doesn’t fall across your face.
Midi hair is not so easy for styling, but there are some things that you can always count on. One of those things is a top bun. In combination with waves and bit of a highlighted hair, you get an amazing everyday hairstyle.
23. Box Braids and Half Up Bun
How cool these box braids look? We know! In combination with a top bun, you will get nothing but amazing views.
24. Rose Gold Hair
For easy, everyday wear, pull your rose gold hair through an elastic and leave the rest of your hair straight and casual. If you ask us, this half up half down bun is one of our favorites.
25. Blonde Bob Ombre
Half bun half down can also be paired with a long blunt bob cut. Just pull your hair together and tie it in a top bun.
FAQs on Half Up Half Down Bun Styles
Q. Is There Any Difference between Half up Bun & Top Knot?
Ans: Topknot history begins long, long time ago. It was worn in many different cultures, such as Japanese, Polynesian, and Korean.
Topknot refers to a hairstyle where all your hair is pulled up and gathered in a bun. And while they are many different ways to wear top knot (s) on your head, there is a big difference between it and a half bun.
Half up bun is considered to be a variation of top knot. It refers to a hairstyle where you part a section of your hair and make a bun, while the rest of your hair, whether it is long or short, is left out.
Q. Are The Half Up Hairstyles and Half Bun The Same?
Ans: When you say half up half down hairstyles, they don’t necessarily mean that bun is included. Sometimes, you will see half up hairstyles with braids, twists or hair accessories. It doesn’t mean that buns are always included. However, if you are interested in buns only, then you should search under the term half or half bun half down.
Half buns are a great hairstyle for both casual and elegant occasions. You can easily go with it as your work hair, or style it for the wedding day. It is a completely versatile and practical hairstyle for spring cleaning as well!
Get inspired with our gallery and learn all the tricks to achieve that perfect half up half down buns.